Renting Towable without Truck to Pull it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marleed1019

I know this may seem strange, but we are looking to rent a travel trailer, however, we do not own a truck to pull it! We are brand new to the RV world. We do not want the RV delivered to a set location, as we want the experience of pulling it. I asked Lazy Days if I could use a rental truck to pull the rented RV, but they said no due to insurance reasons. I'm assuming this is going to be a standard response amongst rental companies.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? We don't want to buy a truck just for this occasion and it doesn't seem like renting one is an option.

Thanks so much in advance!

How big or what type of travel trailer are you planning to rent?  Many need a special hitch, called Weight Distribution Hitch, that needs to be set-up for a specific vehicle / trailer combination.  If you are talking about a pop-up trailer, rent a pick-up truck and forget to tell them it is a rental. If you are thinking Travel trailer greater than 17 feet, all general comments are off limits, there are variables that start playing into the equation.

Check around some companies like Avis Hertz etc wont let you but other smaller industrial companies that rent to oil field and landscape companies etc will allow you to

The experience of pulling a travel trailer is going to greatly depending on the tow vehicle, so I am not sure exactly what you expect to accomplish, by renting both a tow vehicle and a  trailer.  Towing a 25 ft travel trailer may be very stressful and even unsafe when towed behind a short wheel base SUV when compared to towing that same trailer behind a  3/4 or 1 ton crew cab pickup truck.  There is also the matter of proper cargo load balancing and setup of weight distribution hitches, which again can make a BIG difference in ease of towing.    It is not as simple as hooking up the trailer tossing your stuff in and away you go, percent of weight on the hitch and correct setup of the weigh distribution  hitch, particularly on larger trailers / smaller tow vehicles makes a BIG difference.

steveblonde said:
Check around some companies like Avis Hertz etc wont let you but other smaller industrial companies that rent to oil field and landscape companies etc will allow you to

I was thinking that but the problem was coming from Lazy Days. They were the ones who wouldn't allow a rental RV towed by a rental truck. Do you think using a more industrial company for the truck would make a difference?

I cannot speak for everyone or every company but i know for a fact there are companies here that allow it because if outfitted their trucks with wire harnesses 5th wheel hitches etc etc and they pull utility trailers wotk trailers holiday trailers etc etc you need to check around

marleed1019 said:
I know this may seem strange, but we are looking to rent a travel trailer, however, we do not own a truck to pull it! We are brand new to the RV world. We do not want the RV delivered to a set location, as we want the experience of pulling it. I asked Lazy Days if I could use a rental truck to pull the rented RV, but they said no due to insurance reasons. I'm assuming this is going to be a standard response amongst rental companies.

If you just show up in a capable pickup truck, would they actually ask whether or not you own, rented, or borrowed it? I don't see how insurance is an issue, if you indeed have the proper coverage in place. That may be what Lazy Days wants to see... your insurance coverage that clarifies the towed trailer is covered if you wreck. You'd likely have to clear that with whoever rents you the truck.

I also ask what size trailer you're talking about here. Towing an RV is often not just a "hook up and go" proposition, if you're in the size range that has auxiliary braking, proper lighting, weight distributing hitch, anti-sway device, etc. You need to understand the importance of how to connect and check everything, proper tire inflation, how to back up, etc.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea... or don't do it... but just understand for this to be a safe and enjoyable trip, a substantial amount of learning on your part needs to be done in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!  We are here to help and to try to keep you safe.

All comments come from our own personal experience.  Those responding so far probably represent over 100 years of combined RV experience.  To be of real assistance, we really need to know what you plan to rent.  If it is a R-Pod, your present car may work.  If it is a 30 ft TT, you are into ? ton truck territory.

There may be ways we can suggest to make it work if we have more information about size.

I'm surprised that a business would rent a trailer that the customer gets to pull to the camp site. Without being able to prove that the driver knows how to handle a trailer.

That's just a little scary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom