Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill715

I have a coachman Freelander 32 BH 2011 model. The left corner of the front area above the driver seat (bunk bed) as shown in the picture has splitten up and is spreading. How should I repair it? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• RV 2.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 113
bill715 said:
I have a coachman Freelander 32 BH 2011 model. The left corner of the front area above the driver seat (bunk bed) as shown in the picture has splitten up and is spreading. How should I repair it? Any suggestions?

I would put on 3 or 4 layers of fibreglass

I agree with Rene T, but drill a 3/16-1/4" hole first at the end of the split.  This should help stop the split from traveling further.  Then, if you aren't comfortable with fiberglass, you could apply a wide strip of Eternabond tape to seal it up.

Thanks Rene and Molaker.Can anyone of you suggest which etrnabond tape I should use and where I can get it.

bill715 said:
Thanks Rene and Molaker.Can anyone of you suggest which etrnabond tape I should use and where I can get it.

I would think you should be able to get it at most RV places. If not, you can get it here:  http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eternabond+tape&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=41825194889&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6803626379439358967&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1ip5culn0i_e

How can I do the repair with fiberglass.I have never done it before.

If you haven't worked with fiberglass this is not a good project  to learn on.  If you don't do a perfect job it will look bad forever.

Someone poked a sailboat mast through the front cap of our class C about 15 years ago.  I had it professionally repaired and you could not detect there had ever been a hole there.  It wasn't all that expensive either.

I've built and repaired surfboards & boats and I wouldn't attempt it.

It might not even be fiberglass. It might be the same stuff used on Saturn cars. Take it to a regular body shop instead of an RV place. You might be surprised by an affordable price, Inform shop you will be paying out of your own pocket.

Bill

I would think  that to do a proper repair which is going to look good, it needs to go to  a professional shop which specializes in RVs, and replace that whole panel. The panel most likely stops at the roof, and under the front at a seam. It appears to me it has been hit enough to cause that split, and no amount of fiberglass or repair is really going to make it look good.

If looks don't matter, then eternabond, etc. will seal it up, and you may want to go that route and seal it to prevent further damage from water intrusion until you can get it properly fixed.

Just to add I just recently noted it.RV is parked on my driveway and I have not driven it for last several months.There is no accident or hit.I am surprised that by just being sitting on the driveway this happened.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom