Repairing cosmetic water damage on wallls- Any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCC

Hi All-
My Jayco sprung a leak (see my other post a month ago for the saga). We'll get the leak under control but I am now left with hard bubbles on an inside wall of the camper. I was told the water freezes, crystalizes and creates hard bumps under the plastic wallpaper that lines the interior of the camper. It's like a popcorn ceiling effect if you've never seen it. 

Has anyone had any success or have any ideas on how to cosmetically fix this damage? I like decorating as much as the next guy does but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve a velvet Elvis picture.  ;D

Thanks!- Steve

I surmize from the message that you are in cold climate and moisture has frozen in the paneling.  If that is true, I have serious doubts that you are looking at a purely cosmetic fix.  My guess is, you will have to replace that panel.  If the bubbles have thawed and can be compressed, I would put small razor cuts in the bubbles to allow the moisture to escape, dry the panels out and look at applying some sort of wall covering over it that is stiff enough to prevent the bubbles from showing through.

Why not post a few photos of the area and the surroundings so we have more to work with.

Hi Ron-
The service department said the walls are good once the leak is sealed, but you offically have me nervous!
Here's a pic of the wall damage.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Inside wall3JPG.jpg
    Inside wall3JPG.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 57
First check the resale value.

All travel trailers experience difficulties with leaks.  Mine are catastrophic and are a direct result of irresponsible manufacturing.  Please see my other posts for details.

That said, you will be surprised at how much damage will not affect resale, how much repairs cost and how quickly travel trailers depreciate.  In good economies they go faster than cars.  Today, not only can't manufacturer's give them away, many went out of business.  So, if you got one, don't over value it.

From my perspective, best to make repairs to prevent spread of difficulty, fix structure and tolerate cosmetics.

SCC said:
Hi All-
My Jayco sprung a leak (see my other post a month ago for the saga). We'll get the leak under control but I am now left with hard bubbles on an inside wall of the camper. I was told the water freezes, crystalizes and creates hard bumps under the plastic wallpaper that lines the interior of the camper. It's like a popcorn ceiling effect if you've never seen it. 

Has anyone had any success or have any ideas on how to cosmetically fix this damage? I like decorating as much as the next guy does but I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve a velvet Elvis picture.  ;D

Thanks!- Steve

If it's just bubbles under the wall/contact paper, it's easy to remove the paper with a blow-dryer.  Heat it up, and carefully peel it off.  With the right amount of heat, it comes off in nearly whole sheets.

We opted to sponge paint the wall instead of re-papering.  Wall paper in a MH is just not a great idea, IMHO, given the high-moisture environment.

Back
Top Bottom