Replace old stove regulator with backyard bbq regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tunlpp

Hi,

I have a 1990 Magic Chef stove/oven.  It has a small (about 1.5 inch square) 10.5" WC regulator inside the stove.  It leaks out the vent hole.  Assuming that it physically fits, would there be any issue with replacing it with a standard single stage regulator from a backyard bbq grill?

Depending on the PSIG of the regulator coming off bbq, you could.  Most all RV stove regulators are 1/2 PSIG. Check the bbq one to make sure before installing

The standard LP regulator is 11" WC, so that stove regulator is slightly lower pressure. I suspect it would make a difference in the burner flame, but cannot guess how much. Maybe more a problem in the oven then the top burners.

You could open the seal on the standard regulator and adjust it a bit, but you need a manometer to measure the pressure.

It's my understanding that the regulators in RV stoves output pressure is 10" WC.

kdbgoat said:
It's my understanding that the regulators in RV stoves output pressure is 10" WC.

This stove uses 10.5.  I don't know how much  difference 1 inch of pressure makes.  I thought these were basically a failsafe to prevent an accidental high pressure from hitting the appliance if the main 2 stage regulator at the tank fails.

You bring up another good question. Most standard detachable regulators won't function at all if the inlet pressure is too low, so if that stove feed is already reduced to 11" WC, a BBQ grill type probably won't work in series.

Good question indeed. I questioned the second regulator a long time ago, as I have always heard don't use another regulator on low pressure propane systems. When I found out about the regulator in the stove, I was told by Atwood it further reduced the pressure from 11.5"WC.

Back
Top Bottom