Replaced 24 inch tube type TV with 32 inch LCD TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PatrioticStabilist said:
I will get my tenant to look the TV stuff over when we get to that.  He knows all about media stuff.  He is telling me there is some kind of deal I can get that just plugs in like a memory stick and I can get TV over it and don't have to buy a satellite dish.  I have no idea what he is talking about at this point.  Need to sit down with him and go over it.  I guess you pay a monthly fee for it also, but I need to find out all about it. 

It sounds like, in this instance, what he's talking about is a TV tuner that plugs into the USB port on a computer.

You can just hook up an antenna to one of those and use a laptop computer to watch TV, but that's not something I'd consider all that convenient for the whole family ... unless, of course, you then have a VGA or S-video cable (whichever the computer in question supports) to take that signal to the LCD TV.  It's more complication than you really need, although it might be handy if you want something light and easily portable to watch TV in the bedroom.

Woot.com (site that sells a single different item each day, usually at an incredible price) had one of those USB tuner sticks for sale last week.  I thought about buying it for camping, but its usage would be limited and I doubted how well the small included antenna would pick up reliable digital signals in rural areas.

scottydl said:
Woot.com (site that sells a single different item each day, usually at an incredible price) had one of those USB tuner sticks for sale last week.  I thought about buying it for camping, but its usage would be limited and I doubted how well the small included antenna would pick up reliable digital signals in rural areas.

The included antennas are OK if you're close to the stations' towers, not so much if you're, say, 25+ miles out.  When we were still tent camping, I took a homemade coat-hanger antenna (half of the unit you can find plans for here) and about 10' of coax with me, and just strapped it to the highest tent pole on the outside.  It worked fine.  Of course, in an RV, you can just connect to the antenna, again with plain old coax.

Okay here are the pictures of the hold down scheme I used. It seems to hold the TV set securely.

Not shown is the weather stripping on the back of the oak pieces that should help avoid wear or scratches on the TV.

I put plastic bumpers on the TV and felt discs on the frame to provide some resilience.

The T-nut picture shows the back of the frame with the T-nut inserted.

Attachments

• TV with hold downs on c.JPG
    TV with hold downs on c.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 213
  • hold downs c.JPG
    hold downs c.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 170
  • T nut c.JPG
    T nut c.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Bumper on TV c.JPG
    Bumper on TV c.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Felt bumper c.JPG
    Felt bumper c.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 172
My philosophy is there is no television that is too big.  I just replaced a 26" lcd that was mounted inside the opening with a 32" lcd using an articulating mount.  The tv pushes up against  the opening.  Amazon has some great prices on Peerless articulating mounts if anyone is interested.  This is a very easy to do project.  Bill

Back
Top Bottom