replaced dash mount TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

I posted picture on how we are adding a 26 inch LCD tv in the bulkhead.  We removed the 19 inch CRT from the in-dash mount that shook everytime we hit a bump.  I then needed to fill the dash space left from the tv.  I built a cabinet and added 2- 12 volt connectors in the upper shelf for the XM radio and the GPS.  Here is a picture of the finished project.

Attachments

• cab.jpg
    cab.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 392
Awesome job!!! I have a 1998 pace arrow vision and the dash looks identical, I have to do the same thing. I just put a 22" flat screen up in lieu of the center ovhd cabinet door. Used the same hinge and struts! works great.

If you feel like building another, let me know!

Thanks captsteve:  it was not difficult once I removed the old storage doors.  If you want info let me know.  I did remove the lift,  I was tired of the tv shaking.  In a separate post I have pictures of the upper bulkhead where we put the new 26 in LCD.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=48677.0

I would love any info and or details on the cabinet build. Even some detailed pics inside and out.. I really love your idea and with you permisson will copy it for my rig.

I wish I would have seen what you have done before I did something similar, great job. I put shelves in and I was going to put LCD TV in bulkhead but when I installed the TV mount and TV I was worried TV would vibrate above our heads so now I am putting the TV on the wall by Kitchen table. See pic, I haven't stained or finished yet but I  think it will work, I guess I could always take the trim off and put doors on like yours.
Here is my question if anyone can answer. I'm installing a fixed TV mount for a 28 inch LCD and I'm worried about stud pattern and thickness, this wall borders the shower. See pic, I removed mirror already.
BTW I purchased a under the cabinet TV/DVD/AM FM  unit that I hooked up my rear view camera to, love it. Here you can see the mount I was going to use for TV.

Attachments

• Dsc00665s.jpg
    Dsc00665s.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Dsc00487.jpg
    Dsc00487.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 140
I would go back to your first idea, sans the swing mount. I put mine up there bolting it to a piece of plywood with a piano hing at the top so it would lift like original door for access. I did build the hinge point out a bit to get a good viewing angle. but it works great and real strong.

There is a pic of it in this thread,  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=49526.0

I am committed to making the wall bracket work as of now,(most of the newer RV models I have seen have TV recessed in a similar wall)  I know there is wood to screw this mount to the wall because mirror supports were screwed in and cabinets are attached close by. I first bought a flush wall mount that was not wide enough to span where I wanted to support this, now I ordered a larger bracket which actually is 1/2 inch wider than the TV if I use the 28 inch TV but I also have a 32inch I could use.. See pic
I will measure the depth of the wall and plan on using at least 6 screws.

Attachments

• L100-0012-vendor01-am.jpg
    L100-0012-vendor01-am.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks pipepro we are very happy with how it turned out.  I may do the sides next, but that would be a better sound system so I have to wait for $$$.  IF the mirror mounts are in framework, you could run horizontal 1x2 then vertical to box in a mount area that would fit the tv mount.  This would give you wire room.

Captsteve here what it looks like centered on the bulkhead YIKES!!!! I feel a headache about to happen lol. Next couple days will tell the story, keepin my fingers crossed all goes well with wall installation, I will take a pic or 2 and post. Glad I took this down and apart never thought about access to overhead cabinets might have been affected

Attachments

• Dsc00654.jpg
    Dsc00654.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 139
Yikes, that is a tad large for the  space! I wanted a big tv but went with a smaller one that fit between the ovhd doors. Im sure it will look great on the wall.

Started the mount prep work and found all the 1x3 behind the wall, amazing was in a crossing pattern vertical and horizontal, so I attached the 3/8th plywood and took a pic to get an idea of how big it will be on the wall. voila Now I took the wood down will sand and finish, polyurethane and reinstall on wall with more screws, attach mount, then tv. Think it will work? BTW opted for a 28 inch (23 pounds) the other pic contained a 32 inch

Attachments

• Dsc00667.jpg
    Dsc00667.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Dsc00669.jpg
    Dsc00669.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 93
Well Captsteve I did the couch test and it passed, but the mount is wider than the TV and not happy about that so I either have to install the 32" instead of this 28" or trim the mount. Then below the TV where the plywood shows I was thinking about building a trough to hold napkins, salt & pepper, etc. that would do the trick but does someone else have a suggestion for under the TV?

Attachments

• Dsc00679.jpg
    Dsc00679.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Dsc00678.jpg
    Dsc00678.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 68
It looks like the mount may be a little wide.  With a narrower mount you could have used a smaller backing plate, depending on stud locations.  Otherwise, either paint it or get some nice upholstery fabric and cover it. 

Yes, you might be able to build in a small shelf.  But, would it interfere with headroom for someone sitting on that side of the table? 

Geoff, a question popped into my head. Where are you gonna put the directv reciever,dvd player ect.  That is if you use them.

I was going to put them in the cabinet upper left. There is an outlet in the cabinet. I was debating whether to run the power cord up to that cabinet with the coaxial cable or down below the table where I am going to also plug in the Desktop PC. I know I have to run the VGA cable to the Desktop PC down, PC won't fit in the cabinet but it will fit under the booth bench. We are debating the Direct TV because they have a special running right now at the RV show free installation on the RV and home, but we have cable for home now. A DVD player will fit in the bulkhead where the VHS player used to be, that is where the cable junctions are anyway.
My wife likes the fabric idea to cover the plywood. I had to have the plywood as large as it is to hit the framing wood.

Geoff, if you check in good sam magazine there is an ad for directv w/ extra dish for rv and tripod plus home and rv install.

Steve

Yep we seen that Steve, I think we are going to hold off on the direct tv for now. Well I took the 28" out and put the 32" in and I'm alot happier with how it looks. Put corner duct raceway in to hide the cables, and just propped up a piece of stained wood to see what I will need to cover the plywood. Whadda ya think?

Attachments

• Dsc00684.jpg
    Dsc00684.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom