Replaced Twist Lock Power Cord w a SmartPlug Cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

After two winters of cold weather camping I got tired of fighting the power cord when stowing it. Also I have had two times where the two year old OEM twist lock cord was installed but needed to be jiggled before the RV had shore power. That is not good.
So I bit the bullet and built an all season flexible power cord with a 30 amp SmartPlug. I made it 35 feet in length because at home I park in front of the garage and power the RV from the garage. The SmartPlug advertising states that the contacts have 20X the contact area as the traditional twist plug. Took about 2 hours to make the cable and install the RV plug. Bonus: No more fine thread locking ring.
FYI
Camco male grip plug.......................$22.31 Amazon
35 feet of SOOW flexible cord.......$85.05 Amazon
SmartPlug kit B30ASSYPW............$195.18 Ebay
Total cost of pwr cord......................$302.54

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 6
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 6
I use this stuff all the time and I no longer have connection issues... With either my shore power cord or my TOAD connection cord... I do like your more contact area though...

Butch

I don't see anything "smart" about it, but it claims to be a superior electrical design and the positive locking side clips are an excellent addition. And easier to use than a twist lock. The twistlock is a safety feature borrowed from the marine industry but overkill for a land yacht.

I've always felt the RVIA is derelict in not actively fostering improvements like this. There is so much they could be doing simply by defining enhanced "industry standard" designs that their members could then adopt.

I've always felt the RVIA is derelict in not actively fostering improvements like this. There is so much they could be doing simply by defining enhanced "industry standard" designs that their members could then adopt.
From years of observing RIVA, I believe that the main purpose of the organization is to lobby on behalf of the RV manufacturers and to keep the RV industry from being required to meet federal highway safety requirements. Since they are an organization of manufacturers, they do what the majority of manufacturers want.

I installed a Marinco threaded twist-lock on the truck camper. Since it's rarely plugged in, it made more sense to stow the electrical cord behind the seat of the truck than in the camper. I spray the electrical plug with a silicone electric spray before connecting it (on the rare occasions it does get connected). I didn't like the permanently connected electrical cord. It took up too much space under the sink. I also didn't like how the gravity water fill was situated a couple inches above the power cord. Dumb RV Planner. So I changed things around and then made it better.

I installed a Marinco threaded twist-lock on the truck camper. Since it's rarely plugged in, it made more sense to stow the electrical cord behind the seat of the truck than in the camper. I spray the electrical plug with a silicone electric spray before connecting it (on the rare occasions it does get connected). I didn't like the permanently connected electrical cord. It took up too much space under the sink. I also didn't like how the gravity water fill was situated a couple inches above the power cord. Dumb RV Planner. So I changed things around and then made it better.
All of my utilities are in one compartment... Electrical, sewer and fresh water.... Pretty dumb too... All utilities come in to that compartment thru one single opening in the bottom of that compartment... Again dumb... My power cord is permanently attached, so I get to drag all 30' of that cord up thru that opening and coil it in the bottom where sewer line goes in and out.. I'm thinking of putting a separate attachment point for the power cord out side the compartment like you did... Still dumb to have all 3 utilities in the same compartment...
Butch

From years of observing RIVA, I believe that the main purpose of the organization is to lobby on behalf of the RV manufacturers and to keep the RV industry from being required to meet federal highway safety requirements. Since they are an organization of manufacturers, they do what the majority of manufacturers want.
Yeap, but that is so short-sighted. At very little cost they could be promoting advances that will benefit both manufacturers and their customers. They do other things to foster the RV industry, i.e. lifestyle advertising and publishing standards, but they do nothing to promote the state of their art. Nor do they assist in educating their customers to increase their satisfaction and grow them toward newer-bigger-better rigs.

Unlike automotive makers, RV manufactures are heavily dependent on their component suppliers, so it's actually the suppliers who dominate the RVIA. Not the companies that build finished RVs. The big suppliers like Dometic and Airxcel don't want to invest in new designs so they lobby against standards changes, preferring the status quo over product improvement. That's why, for example, that we are still using a 50 year old roof a/c design that was a compromise to begin with.

But I digress... :(

I guess that I'd not realized that other than the RV manufacturers can be members so I just visited the RVIA membership site to see what it says. The quote below supports your opinion.
Membership is available to companies and businesses actively engaged in manufacturing RVs and Park Model RVs as well as those providing a product or service, directly or indirectly, to an RV manufacturer, Park Model RV manufacturer, component supplier, aftermarket supplier, or other wholesale participant in the industry. The membership categories are RV Manufacturer, Park Model RV Manufacturer, Supplier, Manufacturer’s Representative, Finance Firm, and Associate.

The big suppliers like Dometic and Airxcel don't want to invest in new designs so they lobby against standards changes, preferring the status quo over product improvement.
No, they just buy up the little guy, who spent a lot of time and money developing a product, and then either cheapen the product till it is junk, or totally discontinue it if they have a similar but less desirable product..

Charles

I considered the Smart Plug when I removed the hardwired cord and put on a turn lock (Twist-Lock® is a trademark of Hubbell). I bought a new Conntek 36 ft cord with a 45° down turn end on it. (Amazon warehouse return out of the package.) If Smart Lock made an end with a down turn to it I would consider it, but having it stick straight out, and then droop is more of a strain on the plug and a trip hazard.

41fVvS4T5qL._AC_.jpg

51YxK9nsbVL._AC_.jpg

My solution to the fine thread collar that is so difficult to start without cross threading, is this ParkPower by Marinco 100ELRV 30 Amp Easy Lock Sealing Ring, black. Yes, there are slots cut in all of the power inlets for a push in and turn to lock type of ring like this. It was fairly easy to swap out, and works quite well.

51PFkaFSj9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
power inlet showing lock slots.jpg

Last edited:
I had installed one of these on my old RV just before it went up in flames. The fire was not because of the Smart Plug.

I also did it because I was tired of feeding the cable in and out every time.

I installed it with a Progressive EMS in line and housed in the compartment where the cable was previously located.

I also mounted the remote display for the EMS directly above the Smart Plug so I could look at it when plugging it in to check voltage and three other measurements.

Here are some install pictures.

Interesting side story.

The fellow that owns to company that sells these in Alabama is a Helicopter Pilot and knew a friend of mine from High School, Bob Sitze. that was also a pilot and went to Viet Nam shortly after I did.

Attachments

• 20230922_153046.jpg
    20230922_153046.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_160143.jpg
    20230922_160143.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_190813.jpg
    20230922_190813.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_190844.jpg
    20230922_190844.jpg