Replacemant awnings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denmarc

As some of you may already know, we in MI are cleaning up after yesterday's storm.  I made a trip up to my TT to check it out.  My property was in the path of a reported tornado touchdown.  Starting to look now that I am a victim of straight line winds.  Not as bad as I thought it would be.  I do have damage though.  After some quick research in the library for replacement awnings, I didn't really see anything that caught my eye.  My 26' Carefree bought the farm in yesterdays wind.  It was lowered and secured as normal protocol as I have done for years.  But, 60-80 mph straight line winds was just too much for it.  It's toast.

I now have a couple small puncture holes to repair in the siding.  And I will have to live with a few dents in the siding.  The mounting brackets that the supports were attached to at TT are now loose and need attention.  The awning is now on the ground to keep any more damage from occurring.  Most of the bent brackets/supports have been removed.  All supports that I could not remove in such a short period of time are secured from doing any more damage to the siding.  I think I am in a manageable position now and bought myself some time.  I still need to clean the place up.  A couple of small puncture wounds in the siding to repair from the broken/bent awning hardware.

Now I need to contact the insurance company to see what my options are.  With a $1K deductable, wondering if anyone has some better ideas?  I can get through this without too much problem.  But I just wondered if anyone has any tips?  A new awning of the size I need is not cheap!   

I'm not sure what a "better" idea might be. There are choices of brands of awnings, but they are all still awnings. Maybe it would be as well to skip an awning altogether and set up a shade or dining canopy - they have some pretty nice ones these days. With or without side screens. If you mostly set up for stays of 5+ days, it's not a big deal to erect a modern canopy. That alternative may depend on you - some folks seem able to do it in a 30 minutes, while others struggle.

If you go the awning route, you still have to decide whether to go with a powered awning or the traditional manual type. Pros and cons to each, of course.

I get the idea, Gary.  Have many thoughts and ideas running through my mind.  Mine had all the zip-in panels with screens for the "add-a-room".  Nice to have when the weather is warm and the bugs are a nuisance.  A powered awning is not necessary.  Actually, not even wanted.  I'm permanently parked.

I guess what I was asking is for some insight for replacement awnings.  I would like to keep the TT mobile.  In case we decide to sell it.  We have had that in mind with the idea of buying a houseboat for the past couple of years. Or if it makes more sense, to erect a new stick type "awning".

At the moment, I am thinking some sort of replacement awning similar to what I had.  A decent quality brand with a respectable price. That would keep some options open if we decide to sell and the TT could be sold intact separately.  Or could be included with the acreage it's parked on.  Any thoughts/ideas or good sources for prices?

Good to here you weathered the storm okay. Not sure where in Michigan you are, but here by me we suffered mainly downed trees and quite a few power outages. Some may wait up to a week before power is back on. My son suffered what appeared as straight line winds, as his shed, 10x12 with 8ft. walls built like a house with 2x4's and 2x6's. Never damaged the shed or the 4-wheelers, etc inside but did slide it 10 feet over the yard! Amazing the power of wind.

Anyway, probably the most economical route would be replacement with the same style, whether A&E or Carefree manual. The A&E 8500 is probably the most popular and a really good basic awning. Don't know if you are claiming it on insurance or not, but since it's "permanent" they may pay for an on site mobile repair so you wouldn't have to move it to a dealer. 26' is pretty good sized awning (I'm jealous!) but if it were me with an awning that size I would roll it up when I left for any long periods of time.

kenz said:
Good to here you weathered the storm okay. Not sure where in Michigan you are, but here by me we suffered mainly downed trees and quite a few power outages.

Thanks Kenz.  Stick house is in a suburb of GR.  Property and TT is in Croton Twp. just north of where the National Weather Service had declared yesterday evening that the damage path was caused by a couple of EF-0 tornadoes.  I also have a bunch of downed trees in my woods.  I now have campfire wood to last me till I die!  ;D

I have always left my old awning extended, but lowered and anchored when leaving after the weekend during the camping and hunting season.  Been the protocol for over 20 years.  No problems.  Last Sundays storm was just too much for it.  As I mentioned, it's toast.  My 10'x12'x8' (also stick built but not anchored) shed did manage to stay put.  As well as the 150 mile antenna on its roof for DTV reception.  A very large antenna.  I thought all the way up there yesterday to find pieces of it all over my acerage.  Not the case.  Nice!

I will check out your suggestions for a replacement awning.  Did a little research yesterday on the same.  Insurance coverage is still being checked out.   

Just a note... I had mine damaged in high winds a few years ago while returning from MI...go figure...
State Farm said since it was wind damage it was fully covered w/no deductible and paid it complete..
Hope your as lucky.

George

Icemaker said:
Just a note... I had mine damaged in high winds a few years ago while returning from MI...go figure...
State Farm said since it was wind damage it was fully covered w/no deductible and paid it complete..
Hope your as lucky.

George

Great to know!  I also have State Farm insurance for everything I own.  Might be time to "push the button" and see just what I have been paying for in the past 20 years in premiums.  Going over my policy now to get a grip on just where I stand vs. my deductable vs. out of pocket cost for a new awning.  Trying to get all my ammo loaded before the phone calls are made.

I hate dealing with insurance companies!  :mad:

Made the call the day after the storm.  Was told someone would be in touch with me within 48 hours.  Didn't hear anything all week.  Got a letter in the mail yesterday stating they are processing the claim and need to talk to me.

It better not be bad news when I make the call to them tomorrow!  When you call them to inquire about rates and coverage, they are at your home the next day to retain you.  But when it comes to claims, they take their sweet a** time!  Been with this insurance company for years.  Go figure!

You might try checking with the RV parks in your area. I've know several that seem to have used stuff around for repairs.
The fabricate can be bought for a couple hundred dollars.

Wi1dBill said:
You might try checking with the RV parks in your area. I've know several that seem to have used stuff around for repairs.
The fabricate can be bought for a couple hundred dollars.

I thought about that.  But I have quite a bit of bent supports and arms.  As well as a canvas that's torn quite badly.  I think it's in my best interest to replace it.

I did have a nice long talk with State Farm just yesterday about it.  They need me to find a repair facility to get a written estimate of the damages.  Might be a bit difficult when where the TT is located only has a population of approx. 3K residents.  The state and a local CG's are closed for the season.  This township rolls up their sidewalks for the Winter!  The closest town that might be able to help me is still 20 minutes away.  And we are still only talking towns of only around 4K residents.  I'm thinking it's going to be a crap shoot.  Otherwise, I am wondering if I may have to pay someone to drive from Grand Rapids to my TT to get that written estimate?  Then I need to fax that estimate to State Farm and have them look it over.  I then will need to arrange to meet one of their investigators (3-5 day notice) to let the person into where my property is located.  It's gated and not accessable to outsiders.
None of this will be easy for me due to the fact I live an hour away from the TT, I work nights, getting home in the morning can vary by hours, and all of the people I need to deal with work normal "bankers hours".  No weekends.  :mad:

If I do find someone to get me the estimate I need and send it on to State Farm, then the horse trading begins.
Like I mentioned before, I hate dealing with insurance companies.  I realize my situation might be somewhat unique, but I can't be the first one!   

UPDATE:

Went up to the trailer last weekend to check out the damage to the awning and to the TT in more detail.  Took pics and the whole ball of wax.  Second time I got to see it and try to figure out just what is involved.  I also did find a RV repair that will make "house calls" in the area to give me an estimate to send on to my insurance company, which they required and asked for.  Along with some research I have been doing along the way, I have discovered I have/had a 25' Coleman Faulkner awning.  It appears to be discontinued.  Might be interesting to see what State Farm has to say about paying the estimated cost from a rural local RV repair shop.  When I told State Farm the TT is permanent and can't be towed to a repair facility, the person on the phone didn't sound impressed.  I'm leary.  I informed her that just because the vehicle is classified as a travel trailer, that doesn't mean it's used as something that "travels".  I detected a bit of uncertainty in her voice with her reply pertaining to how State Farm would handle the claim.  The plot thickens.

Setting up an appointment now with the RV repair shop estimator.  Then the info. will be sent on to State Farm.  The appointment needs to be made with the State Farm investigator after that so he/she can take pics and check out the damage and come up with their offer/payment of damages.

Bottom line is,
All the claims dept. people I have talked to are saying "Don't worry.  We will take care of it."
The RV repair shop says..."It will cost $60 bucks to send the guy out."  Insurance company says "We'll take care of it".
It cost me money just to accommodate these people.  Possible time off from work and the gas to drive to the TT.

Hmmmm... :-[   

I just lost my "new" awning to a freak storm that came up in the night down here in lower Alabama...
Called State farm and they said get a TV repair over and send photos..He came removed it so I can drive and is sending photos and I guess I will get a check...in the mail..

I'm now considering those electric awnings that retract when the winds get too highj...don't know if it will work on a 94 year old coach...

A Big Sky 5er next to me has one..it's so cool...but no where as long as mine...mine is somewhere around 21 feet or so..

I have yet to experience claims issues w/SF...hope all goes well w/you..

George

Icemaker said:
I'm now considering those electric awnings that retract when the winds get too highj...don't know if it will work on a 94 year old coach...

George

A 94 year old coach? Wow! Steam power or horse drawn? You didn't buy it new when you retired did you?  ;D

Ken

Icemaker said:

George

Sorry, George.  I couldn't help myself either.  The first thing that came to my mind was your bare feet sticking through the floor while you sat there in your Sabertooth Tiger skin trying to pull away from a traffic light somewhere.
;)

denmarc said:
Sorry, George.  I couldn't help myself either.  The first thing that came to my mind was your bare feet sticking through the floor while you sat there in your Sabertooth Tiger skin trying to pull away from a traffic light somewhere.
;)

That was good... made me really laugh....hard to type...thanks for the insight in my "error"...
I bet there "were" Dolphins back then....lol

George

Icemaker said:
That was good... made me really laugh....hard to type...thanks for the insight in my "error"...
I bet there "were" Dolphins back then....lol

George

If Icemaker and I brightened your day, well worth it.

denmarc said:
;)

LOL

Attachments

• Flintsone Camper.jpg
    Flintsone Camper.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv