Replacement festoon bulbs for aisle night lights??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those little LEDs are on my list here at Quartszite, but haven't seen anything even close.

Did you buy the strip lights off eBay?

Jeff - $25 on Amazon.  I'm smack-dab in the middle of installing strips in the forward 36" fluorescence fixture.  Hmm, I think I need to order another 5 meter roll, I calculated wrong  ::) .  Oh well.

The LEDs are somewhere in color temperature between cool and warm.  I'll put up a picture or two later today.

One fixture done, need to order another five meters of the strips.  The color is quite a bit warmer than the cool florescence bulbs but it will be fine - at least it's not tan in color  8).

My little Weller SP25 soldering iron and very small diameter solder came out of hibernation and I was glad to see I could still successfully solder on very tiny lands.

One caveat - oops - do NOT use black Gorilla tape to secure the LED 12V wiring on the fixture surface.  It is way visible when the light is off and looks horrible, I need to find some white tape to cover up the black.

I proudly showed off the results of my labor to DW and she immediately said the black tape didn't look good and "why didn't you do the galley light first.."  :p , both of which I was painfully aware of before show and tell.

Attachments

• SolderingPowerLeads.jpg
    SolderingPowerLeads.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 32
  • WrappedUp.jpg
    WrappedUp.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 33
  • FixturesMounted.jpg
    FixturesMounted.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 33
  • StripsInPlace.jpg
    StripsInPlace.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 33
I like! I have several rolls of LED strips from Hobbyking in my Helicopter kit here in Quartzsite. I'll have to look for the white box and see how it looks.

Here's one for you.... Here is an LED dimmer with IR remote control. There are others whos control is RF and hidden if you want to dim but keep the OEM swx.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-8A-IR-Remote-LED-Light-Dimmer-12-Key-Adjustable-Brightness-Control-Screw-/271038867141?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item3f1b2ce6c5
sure wish it was easier to post links here :(

SCVJeff said:
sure wish it was easier to post links here :(

Copy a link from your browser and paste into a message. What could be easier than that?

Alternatively, in the full message editor:

- Type a name for the link.
- Highlight it,.
- Click the icon immediately below the B (above the smilies).
- Paste the link.

It's much easier and quicker to do than to exlain it  ;)

Jeff - I use BBCodeXtra with Firefox.  All you have to do is highlight what you want to make a link and right click to bring up BBCodeXtra options > Clipboard> Make Selection URL.

I'll check out the link - sounds neat.  (I stopped flying RC fixed wing - too many crashes and not enough flying opportunities.)

Thanks for the reminder of BBCodeXtra John. I'm usually on autopilot and don't give it any thought.

I can post a link, but not name it, or make the pix appear unless they take up space on your server :( 

John: How many strips did you need to add to equal the florescent?

Inline images are disabled here, thanks to prior abuse. But that doesn't prevent you posting a link to an image hosted elsewhere or attaching an image(s) to your messages.

Whats's the issue with naming a link? Your dimmer link - it works  ;)

For more info, check out our forum navigation tips board. Worked again.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/fuse-led-bulb-1-smd-led-festoon/243/
I ordered 4 of these, and received them in just a few days ...$2.49 each and only $2.99 shipping.  I have been looking for led festoon replacements for months ...most are too large. These work great in my coach, though are not easy to install due to the fixture accessibility. I had to remove one under the kitchen cabinets, and one under the bed in order to get the bulbs installed.

What's the problem Mark? John and I have both posted easy ways to post links. Please elaborate on what the issue is, and we'll try to help. But tossing out a 'yep' does nothing to help us help you  ;)

Is there any problem with the amount of heat produced by LE D's??
I'm not  sure just how "hot" the LE D's burn.
Thanks.

tomnnva said:
John - just took delivery of the LED replacement for the "festoon" bulb,  http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/fuse-led-bulb-1-smd-led-festoon/243/  and it works great.  It puts out a cool white light, which actually works better as an entry step light than warm white.  They cost about $2.50 each.  They are meant only for indoor use as there is no glass enclosure.  They are also "polarized" and will only work in one direction in the socket.
Edit: Fixed quote

I tried these LED festoon bulbs for my footlights but found them much too bright and white for use as footlights, so I'm still looking...

found them much too bright and white for use as footlights
. I think they are great ...personally I like NO light, but DW thinks she needs something.  I like these much better along the floor than something in an outlet a lot higher...

I finally found a 'warm white' 3000K-4000K fuse-type festoon bulb on Amazon: iJDMTOY 3-SMD 29mm 6614F LED Bulbs For Car Sun Visor Vanity Mirror Lights, Warm White
I think a single 5050 SMD LED (like the SuperBrightsLED one referenced above) would be sufficient, but this one has three.  With free shipping the cost per bulb is only a bit more than the single SMD 6500K bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.  Unfortunately, I don't have the 6500K bulbs for a comparison anymore, since I returned them.

The attached picture shows the LED bulb in the left foreground with the incandescent bulb in the right background.  The LED isn't as warm as the incandescent, but I think it will be OK.  Since the LED is directional, you can adjust the light level of the LED a bit by rotating it in the socket to point the LEDs in a slightly different direction.

Attachments

• Footlights.jpg
    Footlights.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom