Replacement Toilet Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBK

We have the Thetford they put in at the factory, which leaves much to be desired. I got to replace it.

The main problem is my danglies dipping in the water... while sitting, of course. The bowl is too shallow.

My wish list is for something no longer, from back to front, than 18" (we have a tiny bathroom, and would prefer not to stand on the toilet while using the sink), made of porcelain type material, and have a deep bowl.

We don't live anywhere near a RV dealer to look at their toilet stock. And we do not have any friends where we could check out their RV toilet.

So, any suggestions?

None of the RV toilets are super deep, they also don't hold more than a few tablespoons of water usually. Dometic 310 or 320 models are the generally preferred replacements. 310 is a round bowl, 320 is an enlongated bowl. I have a 310, the previous owner change out from a Thetford. They still had it and offered it to me, I wished I had taken it, I really don't like how high the Dometic models are (18+ inches) and the new Thetfords are also tall. They no longer make a 15 inch toilet either.

Charles

Not looking for something super deep; just deep enough to not have to wash my bits after using. At 19" from front to back, the 310 would be a tight fit.

Any chance you'd be willing to measure the bowl depth for me? If so, lay a straight-edge across the seat (not rim) and measure down from there, and I'd be able to compare that with what I have.

In our current fifth wheel, it came factory stock with the Thretford toilet. It never held water in the bowl from the very beginning. I replaced the seal myself twice, which is really not an easy thing to do since the bowl and the base have to be separated.

After 4 full years of frustration, I finally bit the bullet and got a Dometic 310. I should have done that the day we took delivery of the camper in the first place! We've had no issues with it since.

I also have a bidet installed on it. Works great. No leaking, no black tank odors any more, and works like it's suppose to.

It is porcelain, and mine even came with a "slam proof" seat. Hit the seat and/or the lid and it closes slowly all on it's own. That's a really nice feature.

You will find, pretty much, on almost every forum on the internet folks replace the Thretford for the Dometic 310 or 320 and never have issues again!

And... on edit:

If the 'danglies' are dipping in the water, you are filling the bowl much more than is necessary.

If "sitting", just before the bomb leaves the bomber bay when the plane flies over, hit the peddle on the floor with your foot and get that "bomb" to hit the center! Yea, the water will turn on for a moment too, but the "you-know-whats" won't be scuba diving any more either!

Last edited:
In our current fifth wheel, it came factory stock with the Thretford toilet. It never held water in the bowl from the very beginning. I replaced the seal myself twice, which is really not an easy thing to do since the bowl and the base have to be separated.

After 4 full years of frustration, I finally bit the bullet and got a Dometic 310. I should have done that the day we took delivery of the camper in the first place! We've had no issues with it since.

I also have a bidet installed on it. Works great. No leaking, no black tank odors any more, and works like it's suppose to.

It is porcelain, and mine even came with a "slam proof" seat. Hit the seat and/or the lid and it closes slowly all on it's own. That's a really nice feature.

You will find, pretty much, on almost every forum on the internet folks replace the Thretford for the Dometic 310 or 320 and never have issues again!

And... on edit:

If the 'danglies' are dipping in the water, you are filling the bowl much more than is necessary.

If "sitting", just before the bomb leaves the bomber bay when the plane flies over, hit the peddle on the floor with your foot and get that "bomb" to hit the center! Yea, the water will turn on for a moment too, but the "you-know-whats" won't be scuba diving any more either!
Uh, not necessarily. If there is only about 6" between the bottom of the seat and the water and/or bottom of the bowl some of us would be dredging. Damn gravity...

Reactions: JBK

When I sit, I tend to pee before I pinch a loaf. That tends to raise the water level. A lot.

Doing calisthenics while using the loo wouldn't be so bad if I only had to deal with it a couple weeks out of the year. But we live in this small box, full time, year round. And will for the rest of our remaining years.

Be nice to do it in comfort.

You might want to download the installation manual that covers the 300/310/320 (also the 301/311/321 which are the shorty models for mounting on raised box areas). This manual has all of the dimensions (except bowl depth) so you can determine what fits. Its 54 pages so not lacking in information. After looking, I have a 310, found the data tag.

Its 8-3/4 inches from the seat top to the ball.

The seal in the Dometic works, IF you use it all the time. (I've had two Thetfords and neither leaked) On mine, it sits a lot and then starts leaking. Luckily its very easy to replace. I used the BougeRV replacement seals. My only advise is after installing one, is to open the ball/footpedal and run your gloved fingers around the underside to feel for any bunched up areas of the seal.

Follow these Simple Hassle-Free Instructions:

Step 1: Turn off the water supply.

Step 2: Press down the pedal to hold the flush ball open.

Step 3: Grap the underside of the old seal and pull to remove.

Step 4: Clean the rim and bowl area where the old seal was.

Step 5: Release the flush pedal and let it close.

Step 6: Clean the flush ball.

Step 7: Leave the flush ball closed. Put the new seal in and press down around the entire edge until it is in place.

Step 8: Reopen the flush ball and spread a lubricant in the areas where the gasket will contact the flush ball.

Step 9: Turn on the water supply, add water to the bowl, and ensure that there are no leaks.

This is a generic product manufactured and distributed by BougeRV. This is not a DometicOEM product and we have no affiliation with or endorsement from Dometic.

I have on hand and will install after my Christmas trip (if it happens) a new Air Gap device that has an outlet for a hand sprayer. It was pricey but has all the parts.

Sealand 385319054 Vacuum Breaker with Hand Spray

Charles

Last edited:
Looks like the Dometic 310 will do the job.

Thanks folks.

Looks like the Dometic 310 will do the job.

Thanks folks.
The main problem is my danglies dipping in the water... while sitting, of course. The bowl is too shallow.
Asked hubby about this. He said ”yes this is an issue”. I had no idea. He says scoot back on the seat more. Though in looking at the Dometic 310, we might upgrade too. Hubby says “willie in the fishbowl is bad”. Good luck on the upgrade!

Don't fill the bowl so full.. The only suggestion I'll make is this. RV toilets come in multiple sized vertically make sure you get the right one that way.
But the seat.. there is ROUND (Avoid) Small ovil (Also avoid less space is an issue( and full size oval (GET).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom