Replacing a leveling jack spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GMascelli

I've read most of the posts about jack springs and found some great info via the search function.  However, I haven't seen a spring with the top connection like the Fleetwood replacement part. Has anyone replaced this type?

I'll be pulling whats left of the spring this weekend so that will give me a good look.  After confirmation I'll order and attempt the repair over labor day weekend.  Again the search function has provided very good tool lists and ideas to help the process.  I'm so looking forward to crawling around under the coach and getting this fixed  ::)

Attachments

• spring kit.JPG
    spring kit.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 53
I'm not sure about that type of spring its installed, but i just put all new springs on the front of my rig.it has hwh jacks and the springs are basically designed like a trampoline spring with hooks on both ends. I had to hook them to the top of the jack and with the jack raised i used a 10 inch socket extension to use as a handle to pull back and extend the spring to hook it onto the bottom of the jack. While it worked it wasn't the safest way to do it. Glad its over with and i don't have to put myself in the way of a spring letting go and taking my face out with it. However you decide to put your springs on be very careful and good luck :)

lil_pup,

That was my concern, extending the new spring.  I did find some good tips on getting this accomplished.  A few folks inserted wood shims to extend the spring, trying to reach the required added length to "hook" the top or bottom.  Most seemed to get maybe two inches and made the connection easier, thats my plan of attack so far.  I am going to try and document the process, I hope it won't be with a picture of me bruised and battered by said spring!  :eek:

Gary, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a package of wood shims.  Drive the shims between the spring coils in several places to stretch the spring out.  When you have it all connected, extend the jack a bit and the shims will fall out.

Simple to lie under the coach and extend the springs with a large screwdriver. If you are near Denver happy to do it for free! Took minutes for all eight.

Rex,

That's the plan. I read about the install and took a look at the pictures that others posted online.

s2kskibum,

Thanks, but the rig is in Maryland  :)  After helping out with annual in the plane this can't be much harder.......famous last words. Hope to get the spring swapped out while the Bride sits at the pool, just in case I need to rename the coach or the parts that don't play nice ;)

Just a little additional information.  I was informed by the HWH technician (At the factory in Moscow, Iowa)
that the springs seldom if ever need replacing. Rust builds up in-between the coils and extends the length. He told me to extend the leveler jack and to use a wire brush to clean them.  Of course with my luck I had just replaced all of mine and could not try this procedure.

All four of mine in the front had rusted and started breaking as soon as i bought my rv and started using them. I'd be too afraid of them breaking with me hitting them with the wire brush.

Went over a speed bump on my way north this spring,,< Took out the springs on both my rear jacks (Looks like th bump was just long enough to engage 1/2 of the pad on the jacks and spin them like a top, breaking the springs and messing them up bad)

Took ye-old angle grinder and chipped a turn or 3 off the springs, leaving a nice hook shaped end, grabbed on with vide grips and with the jacks fully retracted used the "Armstrong" method to re-attach the springs.. Worked great, still using them.. If I ever find that speed bump again (I'd pulled off into a store parking lot to consult maps) I'm going to bill 'em for new springs.  Speed bumps are hazardous.

poker chips work great to space out the spring coils... just bend the spring, insert the poker chip, then turn a little and do another one, etc.  Once it's "in", extend the leveler piston and all the chips fall out.

Years ago I had a spring pad freeze to the ground.  When I retracted the piston the pad held to the ground long enough so that when it came loose when the spring pulled the pad sideways off the pivot point.  I stopped at a truck stop and a fellow named "Bubba" climbed under and just pulled it down and put it in place.  I just thought I would interject a little humor.

Had one break in Laughlin earlier this year. When I saw the repair guy that I asked to fix it for me struggling w/the new spring I ordered from HWH -- I suggested he use the larger of my two pipe wrenches.

By grasping the opposite side of the plate with the wrench, then pulling down until the side to be connected rose enough to engage the spring solved the problem. It wasn't that I was more clever than he was, it was just that I had a fairly large pipe wrench whereas he was trying to do the same thing with a screw driver.

Had to smile when reading that HWH was quoted as saying the springs most likely will never break. On my way back to NCal from Laughlin a second spring broke. So will most likely replace the other 6 before heading out again.

Back
Top Bottom