Replacing Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ian H said:
We put a memory foam topper on our travel trailer mattress,no more bad back in the mornings but it makes me sweat because it generates a lot of heat,too much here in Florida but it will be perfect back in the UK
Ian

Ian,

Where are you in Florida?

Can you good folks who have bought memory foam mattress be more specific on what exactly you bought such as brand and model, thickness etc? Memory foam mattresses are not created equal from what I've read. They range in price from $80 to $200 approx Walmart, to $600 to $1800 Tempur Pedic. I have heard from one owner of the Tempur Pedic that itis a very "cold" mattress and takes a lot of body heat to "warm up" when you first get in bed. Are the Walmart ones any good? If so which one(s)?

We have a 1993 mh which we purchased just a few months ago.  We also had a queen mattress that was in bad shape.  In looking into how to get the darn thing into the bed room i called Camperworld to see what they had to say.

Camping world sells a mattress in a box that works much like the "TRANSFORMER" toys that were popular a few years ago.  We bought the queen.  It comes in a box that is about 5ft long and 1 1/2 feet square.  You carry the entire box into the bed room, and there open it up.  When you remove the plastic wrapping - stand back.  It unfolds and begins to grow.  Once it is all unfolded it requires 24 hours to reach full size.

This thing cost a bit over $400 and includes the pillow top.  It is firm, and extremely comfortable.  They come in a short queen, queen, full, and twin.  I assume they also have a king.

I replaced mine at a mattress manufacturer's store at the west edge of Eugene, OR. They made it up to my specs ( standard width, 3 in shorter), 6 in regular foam with 2 inch memory foam glued on top, sewed cover for about $600.00

I'm loving it.

I have often said I spend more on a pillow than motor home manufacturers spend on a mattress.  I recommend the ?memory foam? mattress sold at Sam?s Club or Costco ? also available via their on-line sites.  (Not the Topper ? it is a full 12? thick.)  I got one for my current 2006 Jayco and LOVE IT!  I think the queen is under $500 but it allows for a first-class sleep!  They come in a big rectangular box with castors to help move it around.  They are quite heavy.  Now I don?t know how they compare to the multi-thousand dollar Temper-Pedic but my motor home mattress is as comfortable as my $1,500 Beautyrest at home.  Just be careful about the length ? a motor home queen is typically shorter than a real queen.  I had to modify my bed to accompany the longer mattress.  Yes, if you need to shorten it I recommend using a ?bread knife? to cut off he excess memory foam ? I don?t think it will remember.  SWEET DREAMS!

My floor plan must be different than most of you as I just picked up my queen and carried it out on its side and then just walked the new one right down the hall to its new location.  I bought a regular queen pillow top from the furniture store just like my King I have at home.  I hate the memory foam.  I tried the memory foam pillow and gave it a few months and really never got use to it.  I have an expensive pillow but its a totally different type of foam that is VERY springy and soft.  Now if they made a topper like that I would love it... My problem with the memory foam is I can't move or anything or else I have to "form" a new pocket to lay in and I just find that too distracting.  They say you toss and turn less but that was not true for me.

FWIW

Jeff

[Yes, if you need to shorten it I recommend using a ?bread knife? to cut off he excess memory foam ? I don?t think it will remember.  SWEET DREAMS!
[/quote]

I've seen fabric stores use an electric carving knife to cut foam.    I'm sure this would work great on the foam mattress also.  It looked very easy to get an even cut.

Sweet dreams!

JoAnn

I've seen fabric stores use an electric carving knife to cut foam. I'm sure this would work great on the foam mattress also

Yes, my wife does that all the time with foam mattresses she makes or modifies for people. Nothing more than an electric bread knife. If something is critical or extra thick, she'll get her foam supplier to use their special saw; It's like a cross between a carving knife and a saber saw.

I bought a Bear air mattress, it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the other air mattress companies and it has very good quality. The only differance between it and select comfort is that it doesn't have the sleep numbers, instead it says softer and firmer. I also bought the foam memory topper which added $100.00.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wenzel
Back
Top Bottom