Replacing rv fridge with residential

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc2

Recently, we made a decision to replace our Dometic NDR1062 rv fridge with a Haier 10.1cu, black in color. The less than optimal cooling performance, unreliability, and the possible potential for catching fire were some of the main reasons. It was checked to ensure that it was installed properly, cooling fans were installed and I even had the Amish coils installed in 2013. The straw that broke the camels back was when the Amish unit started leaking while we were about 150 miles from the IRV2 national rally last Sept. Fortunately, I carry a small dorm style fridge with us and was able to transfer stuff to it. We left the freezer closed and transferred its contents to another members fridge at the rally.

1. The receptacle plug in the outside fridge compartment is one of the few that does not receive power when the our 2000w inverter/charger is on. For now, I want to know if the wire from the rear of the receptacle can be rerouted so it receives power when the inverter is on.
2. For those that have replaced their rv fridges, (whether the big double doors or smaller single doors like the Haier), what type of trim did you use on the sides and across the top. Pics would be nice if you have them.

Depending on your RV it may be easier than you think.

First: is the inverter sub panel part of the inverter or is it a 2nd box near your main breaker box (The sub panel is where the breakers are for the branch circuits powered by the inverter).

IF the answer is "Near the main breaker box" as mine is then:

IS the outlet for the fridge on a dedicated breaker, or on a circuit you would like to have on the inverter (mine is on the bedroom bedside outlet line)

If so then the answer is: "Yes, easily"

If not, then the answer is "Yes, but not so easily".

Does this help.

There are some residential fridge reports, with pictures, in the forum library.

Sure you can reroute the power lead to the inverter, if you can find it and if you can get to the inverter's output lines. That all depends on your particular RV layout, so no general answer is possible. Basically the fridge circuit goes to a breaker and needs to be re-routed to another breaker that is fed from the inverter. You will have to locate those and see what looks practical.

Another option is to run a new wire from the inverter output direct to the fridge, preferably with a circuit breaker inline (but the inverter has an internal breaker anyway). Sometimes that easier.

Is it a pure sine inverter? Some fridges don't work well on modified sine.

Back
Top Bottom