Replacing Seals on Grey / Black Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreddyS

How difficult?  Can I do it myself or should I take to my RV shop?  My grey tank seal is leaking slightly...probably from previous owner adding bleach which is a no no.  I figure to do both at the same time even though black is good.

It is not hard, but why the seals and not the whole valve. Changing the whole valve is easier and faster. Make sure the tanks are empty then park with the front downhill a bit undo the four bolts on each valve and swap them out. You may need to cut the bolts if they are too rusty, still not hard.

And through away the regular steel hardware that comes with the replacement valves.  Get stainless and you won't have any rust problems the next time.

Totally agree with Captsteve and Ned. When you replace valves, only snug bolts, after testing tighten to satisfaction and/or to correct any possible leaking as they can crack easily. I also like to use a bit of vasoline on seals, to help keep in place and also for possible lubrication for lining up at first valve pull. It has worked for me, good luck.

A small wire brush to clean up the threads and some lubricant make removing the old one easier too.

Back
Top Bottom