Replacing sheet vinyl with rigid vinyl planking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perrodiablo

I have a 2007 Rockwwod since new.  Didn't take of the roof and now I have several areas of spongy floor.  I want to cut out the sheet vinyl and lay some rigid vinyl planking in its place.  Has anyone had any experiences good/bad with vinyl planking in a TT? If so did you glue down or leave it floating?

I know this this is not the correct way to repair but my TT is on it's last tour of duty.  Next stop is deer camp.

Thanks for any and all help.

Generally you should glue the flooring rather than floating it. Most RVs shift and twist a lot and floating floors move a lot in that environment. Large, heavy coaches with a robust chassis may be ok (I'm taking north of 30k lbs), but smaller rigs typically not.

Use a good grade of interlocking plank, even when glued.  The stresses can pull apart the seems otherwise.  Be aware that vinyl expands and contracts with temperature change, so plan for that.  The flooring maker will specify an expansion gap, which means molding to cover the edges.  I've heard that installing it in warm weather helps reduce the gap needed, so that that the temperature movement is contraction rather than expansion.  I don't have personal experience to validate that.

RV floors don't have a lot of square feet (150-250 typical), so buying a better grade of vinyl plank doesn't increase the cost of the job a lot. It's a money-saver if it saves you from having to replace it again in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom