Replacing the carpet in a 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're going to install carpet, then you must use tackles-strip along the edges.

Carpet in RVs is often just stapled down rather than using tackless.  I don't see any advantage to tackless in an RV installation, but maybe Ernie can comment pro or con?

kartvines said:
So once I replace the section I removed, which I will first seal with a cost or two of paint, I will install new carpet tack strips and then replace the carpet with some new carpet.

I would go beyond a coat of paint and use a coat or two of quality sealant instead, such as one of these products:  http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGCategory.asp?cid=50

RV Roamer said:
Carpet in RVs is often just stapled down rather than using tackless.  I don't see any advantage to tackless in an RV installation, but maybe Ernie can comment pro or con?
i have been out of pocket all day and just got online. To use the tack strip, it makes a more even finish to the edge of the wall vs a bunch of staples that invarably pull some of the fibres down and create a dimple. If the material is a shag or frieze' carpet, then stapling would be ok.        I see where some more support is needed in those photos and hope you were able to install those. Sometimes the thickness of the OSB is not sufficient to make a strong floor.

Back
Top Bottom