Replacing the sofa bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougie Brown

We've been considering having our 11-year-old fabric 3-seat sofa bed recovered as it's showing signs of wear.  However, friends tonight suggested simply replacing it (with a cream vinyl one).  I've checked out Camping World and a couple of other places, to find that they cost between $800 - $1,000.

I guess the question's been asked before, but where do all the new sofas go which people seem to have replaced when they buy a new coach?  I'm very happy stooping to accept someone else's cast-offs, especially if they're virtually unused!  ???

Any suggestions?

Dougie

(PS: The sofa has a 76" gap)

Dougie, when we replaced our sofa with a desk, the cabinet shop gave the sofa to an RV furniture store just up the street. The store apparently sold them and donated the money to charity. However, that was up in Junction City, Oregon, which would cost you a few bob in fuel (and time) to get there from Marin. You might try googling cabinet shops and RV furniture shops to find some that are closer, or you might work JC into your future schedule.

Large RV dealers often have a garage full of cast off furniture and fixtures - I know Lazydays does at their Florida location and probably have some by now at their new Tucson location. Maybe some calls to large dealers in your area might turn something up.  And you can try RV salvage yards too - there is a list in the RESOURCES section of the site.

I also went looking for RV furniture to replace some of mine that is alittle outdated, but I found that google was a pretty helpful tool and search "RV salvage yards".....there you may find some that have been junked due to accidents, etc. 

Chris

Big Lots.  They buy up lots of RV furniture.  Also you dont have to buy "RV" furniture.  If you find a couch and it fits why not use regular furniture?

cliston said:
Big Lots.  They buy up lots of RV furniture.  Also you dont have to buy "RV" furniture.  If you find a couch and it fits why not use regular furniture?
I don't know. :)  Is there a reason?

Dougie.

We replaced our 3-seat sleeper sofa with a reclining love seat this season.  We love it!  We got it at a regular furniture outlets and paid less than $600 for it.

I've heard in some places and on here as well that regular sofas, etc are heavier then the furniture manufactured for RVs.  Which when I'm driving around over 3 tons on the road, every pound counts.....lol. 

Tom said:
Dougie, when we replaced our sofa with a desk, the cabinet shop gave the sofa to an RV furniture store just up the street. The store apparently sold them and donated the money to charity. However, that was up in Junction City, Oregon, which would cost you a few bob in fuel (and time) to get there from Marin. You might try googling cabinet shops and RV furniture shops to find some that are closer, or you might work JC into your future schedule.

Thank you Tom. That is right on the way of our next proposed big trip. Our flexsteel magic bed is getting a little threadbare.

asprn said:
Yes, there is a reason why you might not want to use regular furniture.  It might not fit through the door. A typical
RV door is only 22 inches wide. Not all regular furniture might fit through the door.

Which when I'm driving around over 3 tons on the road, every pound counts.....lol.

No every pound does not count. A typical RVer who pull a 2500 pound toad reports that their gas mileage only drops a half a mile per gallon when towing. A couch that is a few pounds heavier will have no effect at all.

I just removed the love seat from our MH and it wasn't what I call light, nor is the sofa bed.  I've been moving that around while ripping out the carpet and I'd say it's almost as heavy as a regular sofa bed. 

That is a great point about not being able to fit regular furniture through the door.  The only reason my sofa bed  is still in the MH is that I don't think it would get through the door, otherwise I would have removed it. 

How do they get them in there in the first place?

We are remodeling our 95 Southwind Storm and found this great deal on a new sofa. I put it in last week and am very happy with the build quality. Best of all it is made here in the USA. http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=1848. We also bought 2 of the Captians chairs and they are nice as well.

cliston said:
I just removed the love seat from our MH and it wasn't what I call light, nor is the sofa bed.  I've been moving that around while ripping out the carpet and I'd say it's almost as heavy as a regular sofa bed. 

How do they get them in there in the first place?

If you get a chance go to one of the RV Mfgr's.
They put the furniture in before they put the walls up or they put in through the front window before the glass is installed.

Dougie Brown said:

Dougie.

Dougie,

I think the original reason would be that regular furniture cannot be bolted to the floor which means it could move around during an accident or extremely rough road conditions. Now, many new RV's have sofas that are no longer bolted to the floor. Very prevalent in some 5th wheels since they have to move the sofa a little to be able to open it for a bed.

If a new one, or old one, won't fit through the door they might remove the windshield. Not always a good solution.

Dougie,
Are U still looking at replacing your sofa bed? I recently purchased a 2007 CC and it has a new sofa sleeper and new dinette set in it. We want to go a different way and remodel the inside. If you are interested email me and I can send U pictures.  Each set up is 72" across. I can save U lots.
Dave

Just an FYI - both our factory love seat and sofa/inflatable bed in UltraLeather are coming out shortly.

If you need more info, shoot me a note.

We are replacing the love seat with cabinetry for a desk and slide mount TV and the sofa with Laz-e-boy recliners. The door size is a consideration and things will come in and be reassembled.

I want to do this also./  We have a 32' Coachman Freedom and the sofa is very nice, but not terribly comfortable.  We already replaced the little recliner with an IKEA chair and want to replace the sofa with a recliner and desk, or maybe a rattan/wicker cabinet. The door seems very narrow and and I'm not sure how we get the sofa out. Or the chairs in!!??
Any advice; my DH is very adverse to chopping the sofa up with an ax, as I have suggested:)

Remove one of the larger side windows - it is not a very difficult task. You may still need some sort of lift or ramp to get things up to window height, though.

Back
Top Bottom