requesting recommendations for a brake controller for my 5'er

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

I am currently using an inexpensive brake controller and seem to be wearing my brakes out far to fast. I am pulling an 11,000 # 5'er, duel Axel with electric brakes on both axles. I am constantly making adjustment on the controller as driving conditions change ( freeway to city to campground ).  this unit does not have a setting read out , therefore I am not able to go back to prior settings consistently. can anyone help ?
Thanks

Based upon recommendations that I saw here I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller.  It provides Proportional Braking and I like it quite well.  I've been using it for 5 years with no problems.

John  ;)

i am using the tekonsia P3 very nice unit but thats just my 2 cents, digital read out also

Don't know what your TV is now, but if you ever trade up go for a Ford Super Duty with the integrated factory controller. If you have a later Ford Super Duty without this, it may be retrofittable. I really love towing with my '08 F-350 Powerstroke Dually. IMHO the Ford integrated controller is the cat's meow of all controllers.

The Tekonsha Prodigy is highly recommended - any of the submodels (P2, P3, etc).  The Tekonsha Primus is supposed to be better yet, but the Prodigy is so good its may be hard to tell.

Went from a Tekonsha Voyager, which wasn't that smooth at braking, to the Prodigy. The Prodigy is a night day difference, smooth breaking, and it's been a set and forget unit for the year that I've had it.

Tekonsha all the way. The Prodigy model is great...and you can get 'em much cheaper now that the newer model (the P3) is on the market.
I have a P3 and it works great, but so did my old Prodigy. If you want LCD display (versus LED) and the ability to choose your background display color...then the P3 is for you...else, go for the Prodigy.

Footnote - this may be my first post in this forum, but I'm not a newbie...at least not to towing anyway. I am a newbie to travel trailers though..and hope to learn lots in here. 

Cheers, Toolman_Johnny

Back
Top Bottom