Resale value for high mileage Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbZ

My first time here so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. We are looking at a 2003 Winnebago Journey 34HD with 97,400 miles. It is priced below Nada range probably due to the high mileage. I know diesels go a long time and can stand a ton of miles, but I don't see many Journeys for sale that have over 100K on them. How does crossing that threshold affect resale? This is our first coach and most likely not our last, so we will need to get some money out of it if/when we trade up.

I believe this site can show you actual sales numbers for your coach.  I looked at this before purchasing our 2003 Fleetwood DP with 80k miles:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

For its age, those miles are not out of line. It?s at a point where it either has already had engine accessory things replaced or will need them soon. (Things like A/C compressor, water pump, power steering pump...)  Tires need replaced around 7 years (regardless of condition or wear).  If the engine has been well maintained (and supporting maintenance records are available), it might be a good starter. BUT the biggest factor that needs consideration is the house. You?ll want it evaluated for any evidence of leaks/water damage, has generator been well maintained, do appliances work without problems, is plumbing sound, etc.

Condition and maintenance are more important than high miles on a diesel coach.  If the floor plan fits your needs and the coach has been maintained well and is in good condition with all systems working, I wouldn't be afraid of the high miles on a diesel.  You can use the NADA LOW price, without adding any options, as a guide to start with, but again, that price can vary widely.  Someone has already said that PPL Motorhomes lists recent sales and prices that units sold for on their consignment lot, so look at similar motorhomes that have sold to get an idea of what they are actually selling for. 

I bought my 2005 Winnebago Vectra last fall for about $10,000 below low NADA price and it was in great condition.  NADA does not make any adjustment, up or down, for mileage on a diesel coach.

Good luck with your search.

I'd purchase a high mileage diesel in a heartbeat.  But I would take off points for multiple owners.  More than one owner and my valuation comes down.  No service history and my value is going down further. 

What is more important than mileage is maintenance.  When it comes to price, you need a starting place.  IMHO, NADA is a great starting point.  Just know that their prices are average.  And the range can be significant.  My experience has been that most if not all retail sellers of used RVs rely on NADA.  A few sellers jack up the price by listing as options, items that are in fact included with the basic price.  Things like slideouts.  My inclination is to walk from anyone selling an RV with inflated starting prices. 

Finding a quality used motorhome takes time and a lot of research. 

96,000 would be fairly typical for a 17 year old motorhome and much less than a car of the same year, so that would NOT be considered high mileage at all.  The RVIA says a typical motorized RV gets about 6000 miles/year, but in my experience the range for any individual one is probably more like 2500-10,000.

Mileage in the 90k-100k range suggests that you ought to take a close look at several mechanical components that often wear out around that mileage, e.g. starter motor, alternator, water pump, a/c compressor, power steering pump, fuel pump, turbo, etc.  In fact, I'd want to closely inspect the entire engine cooling system.  Try to determine if any of those have already been replaced and plan on paying for  them in the near future if not already renewed. The engine itself (block, pistons, and crankshaft) should be good for many, many more miles.

Like the others I would not be at all concerned about that mileage for the age, condition is far more important.  Having said that there are those first time buyers that will be shopping with a car mentality towards "high mileage" and be concerned about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom