Retirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carolyn,
I also take care of my 90 year old mother in my home. I think the key is her mobility, emotional, and mental state. You can never get it right, you can get it functional. And it is a constantly changing target the older she gets.

First, you can't take her with  you. You can buy an rv with a hydraulic lift (best choice) and have her in a motorized wheel chair. But can she be left alone or even will she allow you to leave her alone, when you are out having a good time. My mother can't see well enough to pour herself a glass of milk without spilling it, so often she will anyway and then there is a mess to clean up. Need I talk about other issues???

Second, you can put her in a home at $4,500 a month more or less. Eats whatever assets she has, unless she is worth a million, very quickly.

Third, you can have someone come in part-time, with safety alerts, but you have to accept issues she will have that come with part-timers. A neighbor might help for a couple of days, but then they have to be paid as well if they are willing.

No truly acceptable option, just compromises, and you have to just do it and accept the complaints and problems.

One of my friend's mother needed to go into a home. They took her to a home, she liked it, she agreed to it, they put her in the home. Two weeks later she hated it and yelled at him for forcing her into a home and said she never agreed.

You can't win, but you can lose and you will lose whatever, but you must act.

Several family members are in the care giver position as well.  Some short term, others lifetime.  There are no easy answers. We did the same when my FIL slipped into dementia for about 8 years. Just make the best out of whatever time you have.

SargeW said:
Several family members are in the care giver position as well.  Some short term, others lifetime.  There are no easy answers. We did the same when my FIL slipped into dementia for about 8 years. Just make the best out of whatever time you have.

My wife and I helped some of my siblings when my father got real sick and started to decline back in 1999 until his passing in 2002.  Then my mother developed Alzheimer's and we assisted her until she passed away in 2011.  Not fun at all and I respect people who have to deal with these issues for extended lengths of time.  My dad was about 3-ish years and my mother around 2+ years separated by approx. 10 years.

As much as I hate to say this, I felt so guilty after their passing that there wasn't more I could do and whenever I left their sides to attend to my own life I felt guilty.  It truly is heartwrenching.  Something I NEVER want to burden either my wife or my son with.

Mike.

MIL's issues will be coming up more and more and there is Sue Anne too  I dealt with mom off and on for 10 years or so, but actual caregiving for maybe 3 or so.

MIL is painting herself into a corner so that when she does have to go it will be a nursing home.  Now she could enjoy
assisted living.  Her neighbors are helping watch out for her, but she doesn't know it.  There are about 5 houses in that little community, all about the same age, well 2 are about our age, so long as she can still take care of  herself she is probably ok there for now anyway.  BJ my dog is with her while we are gone, I called today and she sounded very good, with it.  I know if she has something to focus on she does pretty good.  I tried to get her to keep him but she doesn't want a dog, they compliment each other.  He loves the attention and she has something to talk to and spend time with, he would be a great companion, he is 11, very laid back, and soaks up the attention.  So for her all is well right now.

The part we have to do something about is Sue Anne, we need to get her set up anyway while we are still "functional" and
able to see she gets to the right place.

There is no one to care for us.  I doubt our son comes back to the US, but that is to be seen, we are, I hope, far from needing care yet.

An adult regresses into childhood dependence, but not without a fight and with a lot of heck raising.

I think my biggest problem with retirement, is not knowing how long I'll be retired.  I've looked, and I don't see an expiration date on my body anywhere.  If I knew how long I'd live, I'd know how much money I'll need.  That's why I take at least a month off a year, if I wait til I think I have enough, my body won't have enough energy and good health to enjoy it.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
I think my biggest problem with retirement, is not knowing how long I'll be retired.  I've looked, and I don't see an expiration date on my body anywhere.  If I knew how long I'd live, I'd know how much money I'll need.  That's why I take at least a month off a year, if I wait til I think I have enough, my body won't have enough energy and good health to enjoy it.

My uncle once told me that he knew he would live as long as he did, he would have taken better care of himself. ;D

Mike.

That is my biggest concern, I want to retire while we are still healthy enough to enjoy it. DW has mobility issues that are only going to get worse, once she is wheel chair bound we will have to give up the fiver and look at other options. My dad had planned to quit the rat race at 60 and travel with the small class A we were building in his shop. He died at 57 and left mom to travel alone which she did but sold the partially completed rv.

I wanted to retire as early as possible to be able to enjoy life while still able.  I retired @54, and my wife @58. I've been retired almost 8 years, and her one year March 1st.  We are totally enjoying our time together and doing a lot of RVing..

I have also found out that in many situations involving caregiving that regardless of the number of siblings there is always "one" who ends up doing the majority of the caregiving.  Both parents died within a year of each other, but we did caregiving for 7 years.  We considered it a blessing to be able to show them the same care that they showed us growing up.  Now as we finish my final full time work year in 2015, it really does open up a new chapter.  We haven't set any major post retirement goals to this point, just going to go with the flow until we get into some sort of rhythm.  Always had pressure to perform during work years, so not setting ourselves up to feel pressure to accomplish a bucket list, etc.

Five grandchildren do help.

JimGeorgia said:
  I have also found out that in many situations involving caregiving that regardless of the number of siblings there is always "one" who ends up doing the majority of the caregiving.  Both parents died within a year of each other, but we did caregiving for 7 years.  We considered it a blessing to be able to show them the same care that they showed us growing up.

Unfortunately you are right.  I have six other siblings and several of them didn't seem to have time to help when my parents needed it while myself and a couple of my sisters pretty much put out lives on hold.

Now that my parents are gone, I refuse to speak to some of them and have written them off.  I don't seem to have time for them or all of their drama in my life.  Things like that seem to bring out a person's true character that is for sure. 

Mike.

This continues to be an interesting thread.  Nice to hear about the experiences of those who have already plowed a lot of ground in this area.  Obviously preparing for retirement is a lot more than buying a nice RV.....LOL!

JimGeorgia said:
This continues to be an interesting thread.  Nice to hear about the experiences of those who have already plowed a lot of ground in this area.  Obviously preparing for retirement is a lot more than buying a nice RV.....LOL!

Boy that is no kidding.  We are trying to plan for the next one about ten years down the road so we won't have to borrow for the next one.  Almost have this one paid off.  Hopefully our current one will be paid off in the next several months. ;D  Then I will be doing my happy dance and being able to put all of that payment towards funding the next one outright.

On a positive note as well, Chrystal and I just wrote Jared's last tuition check yesterday.  He has one semester remaining which starts next week and he will be done with college and we just got a pay increase. ;D  Another happy dance.

I don't know if he realizes it yet, maybe someday he will, that he will be able to go into the work force debt free, no college loans.  I'm sure it isn't as big a deal to him now as it will be when he is putting his own kids through college.

Mike.

Mike, I'm sure he will wake up one day and realize how lucky he is.  Tuition is much less expensive in Canada, but it is still expensive.  Our son got his BSC without debt, and there is no way he realized his luck, but he went on to get his Engineering Degree, and when he graduated, he came to us and thanked us and said that he had been speaking with class mates and in his faculty of civil engineering, he was the only one who had no debt.
    We took three 8,000 plus trip after I retired, and loved the travelling, then we decided to buy a winter house in Florida, but kept the coach for local use in Atlantic Canada, we are now looking at downsizing to a Class B which is easier to maintain, drive and store.
    Ed

Tom Peters gave a lecture for our company once when he was a phenomenon in the business world and the only thing he said that I remember goes something like this: "When you are on your death bed, reflecting on your life, how many times will you think ...If only I had worked a few more years?"...    The next day, running to catch yet another flight to somewhere, that question haunted me...  So, plans took a new direction and within a few years we were outa there and as Ardra said "how did we ever have time to work?".  Then the "economic depression of 2008-2009" hit like a ton of bricks and we thought it was "all over".  That too has passed and it will be what it will be but today is today. 

Really interesting thread.

I agree Gary, very interesting thread.  It is good to hear how many have made it work, secrets to making it work and how they were able to get to retirement financially.  It is also nice to see that I think Chrystal and I are on the right track.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
I agree Gary, very interesting thread.  It is good to hear how many have made it work, secrets to making it work and how they were able to get to retirement financially.  It is also nice to see that I think Chrystal and I are on the right track.

Mike.

I don't mess with it anymore but at the time Quicken had a "retirement planning" software tool that would allow you to estimate the effects of various inflation assumptions, asset changes, allocation strategies, budgeting options, etc so that you could get a sense of what might happen under different assumptions.  Fidelity has a version of this with some stochastic economic models that gives a sense of the statistical variation based on historical averages and trends.  It also allows you to vary expenses, estimate home buys/sells etc and shows you the worst, best and average outcomes over long time periods so that you take the "plunge" with some insight as to what might happen.  Maybe you know all this but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks Gary, I have played with some of the on-line retirement calculators plus our investment guy has a really nice one that he has used showing various expenses, trends, budgeting as well as return numbers.  I have him use pretty conservative numbers as I would rather error on the favorable side.  I have seen some investors try to fool people by showing them how well they will be doing but if you look at the scale they are using it shows some pretty uncommon returns for some pretty uncommon time frames.  I don't think that is very helpful.

Mike.

Retirement  - time to do all the little things you always wanted to do.
However, you never have a day off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThiWanderer
Back
Top Bottom