Riding in a Vehicle While in Flat Tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering and curious if it would be legal for adults (not children or teens) to ride in a vehicle while it is in flat tow behind the motorhome as long as they have seat belts on. I have a gut feeling it is dangerous and may not be legal.

I was wondering and curious if it would be legal for adults (not children or teens) to ride in a vehicle while it is in flat tow behind the motorhome as long as they have seat belts on. I have a gut feeling it is dangerous and may not be legal.
Why would anyone want to do that with a big comfortable MH available? And there is the issue of deadly exhaust fumes.
I know that’s not what you were asking. I did a little research and some states do allow riding in the towed trailer. Some specify only a fifth wheel. Some specify you need to have some type of communication between the two. I did not see anything about in a motor vehicle. They always said you must check with each individual state you’ll be traveling through.

Last edited:
A car being towed is pretty much the same as an RV being towed. Therefore, I'm thinking states that allow someone to ride in an RV that is being towed should allow folks to ride in a properly connected flat-towed car. Here's is the list of states that do and don't allow it.
-->> Click Here! <<--

Just having an adult sitting in the towed vehicle driver's seat would be a concern. Grabbing the towed vehicle steering wheel while your turning on a sharp mountain corner.

Maybe as safe as a self driving car.
I would be in favor if I was drunk enough to bring 1st wife's mother along.

ON another thought,,,,, would she be considered the same as having a brake buddy?

A car being towed is pretty much the same as an RV being towed. Therefore, I'm thinking states that allow someone to ride in an RV that is being towed should allow folks to ride in a properly connected flat-towed car. Here's is the list of states that do and don't allow it.
-->> Click Here! <<--
It’s strange. 5 or 6 states allow it in fifth wheels but not in a TT

-->> Click Here! <<--
That seems logical, but that logic mostly won't apply here. Nearly all states have different laws specifically for towed cars & trucks, so those laws will apply rather than the trailer-towing regs. Not motivated by RV towing, though. The laws were mostly created to deal with issues arising from towing of broken-down or otherwise inoperable vehicles.
Yes, that's splitting hairs, but that's the sort of thing that keeps lawyers employed (and wealthy).

After watching this video I would rather ride in the motorhome coming down any mountain grades no matter if it's legal or not.

Wilson, Wyoming this past summer with a runaway motorhome towing a vehicle...

Full article, so you don't have to read till you find the link. Plus a good video of the crash.
Wilson bystander reflects on near miss in motorhome crash

I’m with Rene T on this one. Why in the world would you ever want to do that?

Makes no sense…. 🙄

I would never do anything like this. I was just wondering about it because I have seen similar videos about people riding in bumper pull travel trailers and fifth wheels while in tow and I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was legal for anyone to ride in a toad while in tow. Technically, it may vary depending by state, but to me, it is very dangerous.

The only time I ever towed a car with anything alive in it besides plants was when I picked up an abandoned car from a farmer's field and he insisted I take a flat of newly hatched chicks with me. I gave them to a friend that raised chickens in exchange for a couple of ready to roast hens.

Back
Top Bottom