Riding in the back of a truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For what it is worth, my new Northstar has a warning label advising to not sit in the seats at the very back when the vehicle is underway.  I assume this is because all the weight would be behind the rear wheels - a bad place as far as handling.  That said, it appears that riding in the front of the camper would be permissible.

RickRV

Legal or not...I learned to love the sighs of the west from riding in the cab over staring out the front window.

My thought about having someone ride in a PU truck camper, is so one could sleep while one drives.  If this is what you wish to do, here's a plan for you.  Go to junk yards looking for Class 8 Truck cabs with sleepers.  They have to put a sleep restraint system in, usually it's under the mattress where it's bolted.  They are rarely used, but I think it's a law, because they've been in every sleeper I've seen.  Bolt them down over the bed, then place a CO detector in the area, with a way for the one in the bed to alert the one driving in case it goes off, and that should cover every law.

Its not whether someone (gov't) will let you, its whether or not someone will stop you.

I would definitely let someone ride in my TC. Depends on how its attached and how confident you are with the drive and security etc. Are you winding around mountain roads or going straight through Nebraska, etc.

ignore the voices who would tell you whats best for you and what you oughta do to be safe etc. Use your own judgement! Its YOUR life!

I scoff at those who suggest its totally unsafe or unwise to ride without seatbelts. What about motorcyclists? What about the old phrase "mind your own business"? Or "live and let live"?

Have fun, drive fast and take chances!!  ;D

Molaker said:
As a kid, how many of you ever rode on the fender straddling a headlight or rode standing on the running board hanging onto the doorpost?  It could be invigorating.  However, it was dangerous as heck and there are typically laws against such, especially where children are involved.  Riding in a pickup camper unrestrained is dangerous as is riding in a motorhome unrestrained.  As for legal, that's a whole different issue and totally dependant upon state law.  Just keep in mind, if children are injured while riding unrestrained in any vehicle, the driver could face child endangerment charges if some ambitious D.A. somewhere decides to pursue it - regardless of what vehicle safety laws require.

I and my childhood friends rode many a mile on the open tailgate of a pickup truck. One truck my neighbor had rode pretty low to the ground and we would put taps on our boot heels and drag them on the road to make sparks! Traffic back in those days was a lot different than now. As far as safely riding in the truck camper, go by your gut feelings and use your own good judgement to make the decision.

Back
Top Bottom