Riding in travel trailer or 5th wheel while on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody has expressed that it is OK to move around in a MH while in motion.  At least if one chooses to risk life and limb and do so at least they are in direct communication with the driver.  Moving around in a moving vehicle is not very smart. However, IMHO riding in a RV trailer of any kind is well just plain --- well you know what I am thinking.

Rick.T said:
Sorry but I have to say what I see. For some reason MH owners are under this belief that they are protected just because they have a seat belt.

Pardon me, but exactly who among the respondents in this thread has held that?  Myself, and the other staff members here have consistantly held that that one is at considerable hazard moving around unbelted in any moving vehicle.  Stop the vehicle and then move around.

It also doesn't guarantee or assure that someone will survive any accident. I've seen accidents with MH's where the RV was so totaled that no one survived. Period!

That is true of anyvehicle, from a Mini-Cooper to an M1A3 Abrams tank.

Yet everyone points out how the trailer will disintegrate upon impact.:) Like the MH will hold together or something.:)

All things are relative.  Given a choice I would rather be belted in the drivers compartment of a motorhome than anywhere in a trailer -- and my RV is a trailer.

I've been a rider in a 5er. I am speaking from experience when I say the ride was "no different" than riding in a MH. NONE! Both sway, rock and pitch. Both are hard to walk around in while moving.

Can't say I have ridden in a trailer because I would not.  But I have seen them pitching on a worn out concrete interstate (I-405), and I would not want to be back there in that unshocked box.

By the way, fiver riding is legal in CA only if you have safety glazing and communication with the driver.  You got both?

For that matter, have you run into a trailer with a DOT approved safety harness?

It's not smart for someone to move around in any type of RV, towed or otherwise. And no, not everyone wearing seatbelts survives a crash, but I can tell you from experience in my job. I'm an RN that worked in trauma ICUs for many yrs. and 9 out of 10 patients I saw had a seatbelt on during the accident. That was always stated in their histories. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have been there.
Personally, we won't be riding our camper. Hope no one else does either.
Leah

I'm really getting quite the kick out of all these comments.  I guess maybe I've just been around too long.  I remember when seat belts were optional and not even a standard in all vehicles.  I remember kids riding in the back window.  I remember riding in the back of a pick up truck.  I remember see-saws, merry-go-rounds and dodgeball before we decided all was too unsafe.  Now, don't get me wrong, seatbelts were a great addition to riding in high speed contraptions like cars and riding in the back of an open pick truck is agreeably dangerous, but come on people.  Suicidal to ride in a 5th wheel? Elevator doesn't reach the top floor?  I've survived much more dangerous things than riding in the back of a 5er and I have no more issue with it than riding in the back of the MH.  Be smart, don't be running around, have things strapped down, etc. 

Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm one of those crazy bikers that doesn't wear a helmet either because rather than believing absolutely everything that's forced upon us, I ride and I understand the importance of being able to see what's coming.  The helmet greatly impairs my peripheral vision, subsequently reducing my ability to properly drive defensively.  Plus, it creates a lot of pull on my neck causing pain long term in my spine.  Then there's also research that shows most motorcycle accident outcomes are not determined by the lack or use of a helmet.  So ya' know... The more you know...

I'm also one of those that ride motorcycles without a helmet. I have above average peripheral vision. I can't say that I've ever seen a modern helmet that limits peripheral vision. Poor excuse. I've heard that for years, and sometimes from the same people that wear old school goggles.

Everyone says it is unsafe to walk around in a Motorhome. I agree. Is it done. All the time. More than people are admitting. That is the reason we have ours. We may travel 600-700 miles a day only stopping  for fuel. We go to the bathroom and make a pot of coffee or eat something. If I am the black sheep here I am very suprised. Wearing seat belts is always a good practice but show me a school bus that has them. Show me a tour bus that don't allow people to walk around and go to the bathroom. Like I said is it un safe to walk move around of course. Do people do it. All the time.

Two stories:

I needed to haul a sensitive piece of equipment, so I tested a utility trailer by riding in it for a mile.  I did still had some teeth left, and then paid for an air ride tractor trailer to do the job.

Some friends of mine went to the beach with two riding in the travel trailer.  Upon arrival, there was puke all over the place.

lynnmor said:
Two stories:

I needed to haul a sensitive piece of equipment, so I tested a utility trailer by riding in it for a mile.  I did still had some teeth left, and then paid for an air ride tractor trailer to do the job.

Some friends of mine went to the beach with two riding in the travel trailer.  Upon arrival, there was puke all over the place.

I had a guy that rode in the back end of our fifth wheel once. He bet anyone $100 if they could stay on the couch while going down the road. lol  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom