Roadmaster Falcon tow bar issue.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NEW RVR

I hooked up my 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU unlimited yesterday for the first time using the RoadMaster Falcon non binding tow bar. I drove it around the campground checking the system. When I went to unhook the tow bar, i could not get it unhooked. My wife had to get into the jeep and pull it forward a little before it would unhook on one side. The other side came unhooked fine. Has anyone had this occur? What is the answer to keep it from occurring again? We leave in 2 days for our first trip in the coach.

Were you level? The only time I’ve had that problem was when the front of the motorhome was lower, which puts lots of pressure on the tow bar.

Depending on where it was binding you might just need to turn the steering wheel of the Jeep left or right to get it to come loose.

Is this a Falcon 2 bar? Has the button locks on each side? If you are parked so the toad is "pulling" on the bar it will be difficult. I find it easy if I get in the toad after stopping and set up for driving - then place just a bit of forward tension on the towbar, place toad in park, set parking brake, go out and press the buttons on the bars (will release and tension) and pull the the pins. I have done this in some quite off level situations with success.
Again, if there is pulling force from the toad on the towbar, it will be difficult.

I used a 2001-vintage Falcon for 5 years and what the others say is on target. In fact I upgraded to a Blue Ox Aventa for improved convenience (and that isn't perfect either). Basically you get some degree of binding anytime the toad pulls against the towbar, and what seems like a level surface is often not so. It doesn't take much for a 3000 lb vehicle to put pressure on a locking pin.

Often merely turning the steering wheel right/left is enough to alter the angle & relieve pressure. Sometimes you may have to put the vehicle in gear and carefully move it forward or back a tiny bit. If on soft or loose terrain (sand, gravel), you may need to move the whole rig a bit to get on firmer ground. Last, it never hurts to have a rubber or wooden mallet tucked away somewhere in case of ultimate need.

The Falcon All-Terrain was designed to reduce the frequency of binding in the Falcon 2 and the older Falcon models. Naturally, it costs more.

It doesn't take much for a 3000 lb vehicle to put pressure on a locking pin.
No matter what tow bar is used, if the vehicle is pulling of pushing against either side it will make that side difficult to release. I used to unlatch the arms in such circumstances and the pull forward slightly with the towed car and set it's brake. That should take the tension off of the arms and pins.

No matter what tow bar is used, if the vehicle is pulling of pushing against either side it will make that side difficult to release. I used to unlatch the arms in such circumstances and the pull forward slightly with the towed car and set it's brake. That should take the tension off of the arms and pins.
So true. I use an old fashioned solid tow bar for my Jeep, and sometimes, depending on the terrain, I have to move the Jeep one way or the other to get the hitch off the ball.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Many times}
if there is tension on the bar the lock won't release
Often I'd have to stand on the safety cable then release the latch (about 200 of my 300 pounds on the middle of the cable would pull it forward) Not uncommon at all.

I used to have a Falcon towbar. It came with a tool that hooked over a bar and by pushing down on its lever to press the button down. A real PITA. I knew some folks that didn't know what the tool was for and threw it out. Their recourse was a heavy hammer.

Understanding the towbar and proper use/handling will alleviate the problem(s). I have no tool and mange just fine.

As said, it's a common problem that's easily remedied. Just once in 13 years of towing have I had the pressure strong enough that the normal remedies didn't work. That was in a significant downhill situation working alone, and the remedy was to place the toad in reverse and let it at idle while setting the e-brake. Even the normal slack in the transmission park pawl was enough to jam the tow bar locks.

Back
Top Bottom