Rochester NY to Duluth,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsy-jim

In early July we are attending a wedding in Rochester NY and from there heading to Seattle.  To avoid Chicago (and see something new) we were thinking of heading to Toronto RT 69 to Sudbury, RT 17 to S.S. Marie,  then RT 28 to Duluth finally 210 to RT 94.  We have a Newmar 40 towing a Jeep.  Any problems with this route?
As always thanks to everyone for their help
Jim & Viv

If you're not in a big hurry, come across to lower MI, then up either side of the state to Mackinaw City.  From there you can pick up US2 as Bernie suggested and head west to Duluth.  This way you avoid 2 border crossings

I have driven the coach (35' with tow)  through Toronto in a heavy thunderstorm.  It was a mess.  The only thing that saved me is that we are from California and I've driven through LA in rush hour lots of times.

The roads through Toronto are well marked and very doable.  We crossed at Buffalo, by passed Niagara Falls and headed up to St Catharines.  There is a very nice RV park there.  If you need the name, I'll get it.  We then took 400 out of Toronto up to Barrie taking 69 into Sudbury.  It was a very pretty drive.  That was in 2006

Then just last year in June we drove from Sault Ste. Marie to Sudbury.  It was great.  The roads for both routes are just fine....no problem at all.

Marsha~

Make sure you get some Dinosaur BBQ while in Rochester!!!

I would recommend the Pulled Pork and Ribs Platter, but its up to you.

Good Luck.

Best,
  Dru

Marsha,

I agree that the traffic around Toronto is doable. But if you want to avoid Chicago traffic, Toronto will be equally as intimidating. I am used to Chicago traffic and to us it is NO problem. Same with Toronto -  every time we did Toronto was during heavy construction as well, and we coped very well.  In Chicago they have two seasons, winter and construction!!!!

Mariekie

Never have had a problem in the Toledo area??  We normally take 475 around Toledo. 

I would really recommend the US-2 "the Great Northern" route.  It is a quiet excellent condition 2 lane highway.  We took it from St. Ignace to Seattle a few years ago.  Kind of like the Route 66 of the north.  Easy driving and little traffic.  Almost none once you get west of Duluth.

I second rt 2 west from Duluth, also the Buffalo House has great Buffalo steak and burgers, also a nice RV Campground.
July is a great early spring time to visit the Air Conditioned city.
Last time I was there is was 53 below zero and with the wind chill 101 below. Was starting to get chilly.
Jim

We went from Rochester to Duluth in the late Fall last year and didn't pay any tolls. Great route, unless you're trying to do it in a mad-dash hurry. Went Rt 33 into Buffalo, then 20 down to PA border (real cheap gas on the Seneca Indian Reservation). Quick pass through PA, then to Cleveland.  If you've not seen the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, stop there. Continue on 6 to 2 along the lakeshore route to Toledo (no tolls and more cheap gas in Toledo), into MI,  then 33 to 96 and over to the western coast of MI (see the Leelanau Peninsula and Sleeping Bear Dunes, if time allows), 31 up the coast is very scenic, then cross the toll bridge to St. Ignace and the Upper Peninsula. Beautiful country. If you can stay a little and take the ferry to  Mackinac Island for the day, it's well worth it. Rt 2 to 41 across the UP is beautiful country, then 28 back to 2 and across northern Wisconsin to Duluth. Scenic and historic iron ore docks, mining country, very interesting to see. We loved it, even hitting sub-freezing temps in November. It's the trip, not the destination. Enjoy!

I want to thank all who suggested Route 2 across this great country.  We have just finished the ride up Michigan across on 2 plus went to Canada for their Rockies (Banff to Jasper) which is beautiful and now in Glacier NP.  We are so fortunate to be seeing all of these great vistas.  Thanks for your input as we would not have gone this route.
Jim & Viv

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom