Rock Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bestyett

Any suggestions on a Rock Guard to protect our Jeep Wrangler connected to our Holiday Rambler via a Blue Ox. Have read lots of posts about how beat up a toad can get. Thanks!

I went with the Roadmaster Guardian for my toad. Does it work? Time will tell. (don't even have the toad set up to tow...YET. (Monday)

At $450 (MSRP) I probably wouldn't have gone this way...even though I am getting a Roadmaster baseplate with Demco tow bar...but I stumbled onto it in almost brand-new condition for $75. Couldn't pass it up. Even if I decide not to use it, I can still Craigslist it for a nice profit.

Went to a dinghy tow seminar last Sat given by a rep from Blue Ox, he said the upright guards tended to protect the toads OK, but tended to deflect debris back to the RV and chip the RV, so he recommended the flat unit like was described above by Dutch.

azwinne said:
Went to a dinghy tow seminar last Sat given by a rep from Blue Ox, he said the upright guards tended to protect the toads OK, but tended to deflect debris back to the RV and chip the RV, so he recommended the flat unit like was described above by Dutch.

Funny how these folks always recommend products that just happen to be exactly like the one they're selling...:p

(and what the Blue Ox rep said MIGHT very well be true...but...)  ::)

Thanks everyone!
Guess the next question is...

Better to have the guard attached underneath behind the wheels ....or...
In front of the actual toad as part of tow set up?

Have also seen a shield that lays parallel with the ground?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

WOW, is this topic close to home.

Let me preface by stating I have towed a total of 4 Jeeps now over the past 21 years for well over 100k miles total and my first three Jeeps I can count on one hand how many rock chips I got on both the Jeep and the coach on one hand and have fingers left over.

This particular coach/Jeep combination however, had left me scratching my head up until last August.  I have acquired quite a few rock chips on the back of the coach and a few on the front of the Jeep over the previous 3 or so years.  When we would stop I would have rocks on the front bumper of the Jeep even up on the hood and cowl area.  I had done several experiments and finally opted to install a Roadmaster Tow Defender but I had to modify the brackets slightly because I do not use Roadmaster's mounting brackets as I have fabricated my own tow point crossmember and incorporated my towbar into that.

I was still getting rock chips even after installing the Tow Defender.  My wife and I are looking at getting our coach painted in the near future and I did NOT want to spend that kind of money on a paint job until I got my rock chip problem corrected.  Well it is corrected!!! ;D

All along I had the assumption that the rock chips were coming from the coach, which is why I had conducted several experiments with different heights on the rock guard on the coach, no rock guard on the coach different flaps at the tag axle, etc.  Last year on one of our off-road trips to Ouray, CO I noticed that the rock were NOT coming from the coach but rather from the Jeep flying forward.  Since I removed the factory bumper and fabricated my own front bumper, there was a significant gap between the fender and the bumper, coupled with the fact that the bumper is quite thin at the outer edge and a mid-width bumper at that and it explained where the rocks were coming from.  That made perfect sense and I was a bit embarrassed that I hadn't given that thought the consideration it deserved.  While we were on that particular trip to CO, I ran to a local hardware store and picked up some white PVC pipe and some screen door screening and fabricated a make shift guard to attach to the front of the Jeep.  As hideous as it looked, it flat worked.  All the way home and NO rocks or pebbles anywhere on the Jeep nor any additional chips on the coach.

After my Alpha test I decided to move directly into the Beta testing phase and fabricated a new rock guard system for the Jeep.  I had some criteria that it had to be quick to install and remove, had to cover as much as the tire as possible from up under the fender to down where it would intersect the Roadmaster Tow Defender screen and lastly it had to look good.  Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. 8)

It is quick to remove and install, covers the front of the tire and fills the gap between the bumper and the fender, BUT it looks horrific, butt ugly in fact, however, it works.

Pictures are as follows:

Picture # 1 is the raw materials, 3"x4"x.188" plate and some 1" and 3/4" stainless steel tubing.  Also some farm implement clevis pins I acquired from the local Tractor Supply Store.

Picture # 2 is the steel stock chucked up in the mill vise to drill the holes to bolt to my front crossmember.

Picture # 3 is the stainless steel tubes cut so the 3/4" one slides into the 1" tube which will be welded to the flat steel stock.

Picture # 4 is of the competed attachment sitting on the bench ready to mock up.

Stay tuned for more.

Mike.

Attachments

• rock10.jpg
    rock10.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 33
  • rock20.jpg
    rock20.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 29
  • rock30.jpg
    rock30.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 29
  • rock40.jpg
    rock40.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 35
Continued.

Picture # 5 is of the 3x4 piece bolted to the front crossmember awaiting the 1" steel tube to be welded.

Picture # 6 is of the passenger's side rock guard in place after final welding and paint.

Picture # 7 is of the driver's side rock guard in place after final welding and paint.

Picture # 8 is of the hideous view of the front.

Picture # 9 is of the setup after completing a 2600 mile trip with absolutely no additional rock chips nor any rocks/pebbles finding their way up onto the Jeep's hood or bumper.

Project was a success.

Mike.

Attachments

• rock50.jpg
    rock50.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 24
  • rock60.jpg
    rock60.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 27
  • rock70.jpg
    rock70.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 26
  • rock80.jpg
    rock80.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 30
  • rock90.jpg
    rock90.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 36
Well as I see it, if it works, who cares how it looks?  And as far as I can tell you have done a great job chasing down the problem and figuring out a solution.
GREAT JOB!!
PS  it don't look bad to me.

azwinne said:
Well as I see it, if it works, who cares how it looks?  And as far as I can tell you have done a great job chasing down the problem and figuring out a solution.
GREAT JOB!!
PS  it don't look bad to me.

Thanks.  Maybe I am just overly sensitive to its appearance.

Mike.

It looks like the majority of the rocks were probably flying between the bumper and the fender. Could you have just fabricated a piece of sheet metal and bolted it to the top of the bumper behind the fog light and had the top of it behind the fender thereby plugging up that hole?  Are you also saying that the rocks also came from under the bumper?

It looks good to me as far as your install. Time to mass produce.

First off, in something like 25, 000 miles towing my Rubicon I have had much less problem with chips than Arizone pin striping. The minor chipping I had went away when I trashed the stock full width mud flap. It appears it was picking up rocks and flying the towards the Jeep.

After all its a Jeep, albeit an expensive one! :-\

Ernie

MIKE,

I see nothing at all with the looks!  The color even matches!  I would leave on for off roading for the same protection needed when it is being towed.

Rene T said:
It looks like the majority of the rocks were probably flying between the bumper and the fender. Could you have just fabricated a piece of sheet metal and bolted it to the top of the bumper behind the fog light and had the top of it behind the fender thereby plugging up that hole?  Are you also saying that the rocks also came from under the bumper?

It looks good to me as far as your install. Time to mass produce.

That is correct, the majority of them were flying through the gap between where the fender ended and the bumper began.  The main reason I continued down below the bumper is because while I was already fabricating a shield I may as well tie in and cover the gap between the bottom of the bumper and the Tow Defender.

The biggest reason I didn't make something permanent to fill the gap is looks.  I like the looks of the mid-width bumper.  Actually I originally designed a stubby bumper that I was going to build but didn't want to deal with the Utah Safety inspection laws, so the mid-width was my "safe" design. ;D

Mike.

Ernie n Tara said:
First off, in something like 25, 000 miles towing my Rubicon I have had much less problem with chips than Arizone pin striping. The minor chipping I had went away when I trashed the stock full width mud flap. It appears it was picking up rocks and flying the towards the Jeep.

After all its a Jeep, albeit an expensive one! :-\

Ernie

You are correct in the assumption of the full-width flap being a "potential" issue.  I have seen too many that are mounted too low to the ground so when going down the road and experiencing the porpoising due to road undulations, the rear full-width flap actually contacts the ground and stirs up more debris than having nothing at all.  On our previous coach I did a lot of testing at various heights before finding the correct distance for that coach but there are other variables that also come into play, things like the suspension air bags, weight of the coach and whether it has a tag axle or not.  A tag axle coach porpoises less therefore the flap is less likely to contact the ground unless it is too close to the ground to begin with.

I know now from more extensive testing that my rocks were definitely coming from the Jeep and NOT the coach as I had originally thought. 

And as for the Arizona (or Utah depending on location ;D) pinstriping, that is one of my pet peeves.  I hate scratches.  I catch crap from my local Jeep club members because I get out and trim branches or refuse to do a trail but I want it to look as good as possible for as long as possible and I know eventually it will get scratched and/or dinged but I would just like to prolong it as long as possible.

Mike.

grashley said:
MIKE,

I see nothing at all with the looks!  The color even matches!  I would leave on for off roading for the same protection needed when it is being towed.

Thanks, BUT there is no way in hell they are staying on there any longer than they have to.  Even when stopping for an over night and I unhook to Jeep to run and grab a bite of dinner or something, the rock guards are removed IMMEDIATELY after the Tow Defender and the towbar.  They are not going to be on there any longer than necessary.

Mike.

Mike,
what did you make the guard panels from? I am guessing aluminum, but wondering where you got some with the interesting pattern on it, and why the chain link on the bottom of the bracket that you bolted to the Jeep?

Tom

azwinne said:
Mike,
what did you make the guard panels from? I am guessing aluminum, but wondering where you got some with the interesting pattern on it, and why the chain link on the bottom of the bracket that you bolted to the Jeep?

Tom

The rock guard material itself is merely a 24"x30" OTR mud flap that I cut down the middle and then trimmed to fit up under the fender around some of the fender and light mounting points.

As for the chain link that is welded to my tow crossmember that I fabricated about 4 years or so ago.  It is where my safety cables attach from my towbar setup.  Quick and easy connection point.

Mike.

This one works good, fits on the blue ox system

Attachments

• guard4.jpg
    guard4.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueupnorth