Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an update on Ron's progress.  Sam said they removed Ron's feeding tube and today (6/9/09) he was able to eat some real, but soft, food like meatloaf and mashed taters.  At this early stage one of the therapists stays with him when he eats to make sure he's swallowing properly and doesn't choke.  He's mostly swallowing much better now.  He's also feeding himself with his right hand which is still a tad shaky but better than being fed!  ;)  Ron is also talking more.  Sam is able to understand most of what he says but says some speech is still slurred.  He's also recognizing the staff and knows most by name.

Lisa went home, but Steve and his family have arrived.  Ron was much cheered by seeing their grandchildren Alexandra and Adele.  As to walking, they put Ron into a sling-type device where they help make his legs move.  The left leg is still the most difficult.  The staff are talking about transferring Ron to a place in Billings that specializes in intensive therapy where he would have several hours of physical therapy every day.  If they do this, Ron will go in an ambulance.  The RV is winterized so Sam won't bother taking it.

Sam says everyone has been wonderful in providing moral support through both calls and cards.  She thanks the framily for our concern and says she getting all those cyber hugs we're sending her way!  It's one day at time for now, but it does sound like Ron's making pretty good progress.

ArdraF

Thanks for that update Ardra, much appreciated. We're avoiding bugging Sam at this time, especially since she told me she'd rely on you as the main forum contact.

Thanks for the update. Progress is always good. And eating real food has got to make him feel better. Be sure to tell Sam that our cyber hugs are still flying their way. And tell her to make sure she takes care of herself !!

Wendy

Thank you Ardra for the update, good to hear Ron is responding ok. We will of course keep the healing thoughts headed to both Ron & Sam too.

Jerry & Arlyne

Just found this thread - a bit of a shock.

Thanks Ardra for the updates.

Hope Sam is coping OK and that Ron will be back to normal before too long.

Paul and Ann-Marie

I've been off-line for a couple weeks, so this is indeed sad news.  Our thoughts and prayers will be with Sam and Ron.  He graciously invited us to visit them this summer if we make it up that way.  Ardra, thanks for updating the Framily and please continue to do so.

Doug & Vicki Smith

You're welcome and I will.  Sam and I talk every few days.  She's doing great considering....

ArdraF

Ardra,

Have you heard anymore about Ron being transferred to Billings.  We will be going through next week and thought we might be able to provide a little moral support and some hugs.

Hi Ardra,

Thanks for the update on Ron. Please let Sam know we hope to give her real hugs someday. I'll even give one to Ron. :) He's a fighter and I'm sure he'll do all he can to get better.

ArdraF said:
You're welcome and I will.  Sam and I talk every few days.  She's doing great considering....

ArdraF

She should be, now SHE can get the last two words in ;D ;D Have her tell Ron we all miss him on the forum and to get well quickly.

Tee hee, Bernie.  I've already told her that and continue to do so each time we talk.  Sam and Ron both know we're all thinking about them.  Also, I've been trying to keep her apprised of who's doing what so she'll have stuff to tell Ron.

Jim, I haven't heard more about Billings.  I think it's still so early in his treatment that they've just begun talking about it.  I'm sure it will take a while to make such arrangements.  On the other hand, once such decisions are made they often happen quickly.  If I were you I would call her as I got closer to either Billings or Lewistown.  I KNOW she'd like to have some real hugs but cyber will have to do for now for most of us.  And I'm sure Ron would love to see any of us from the RV Forum....

ArdraF

Some other folks are going to need to step in a substitute for Ron until he gets back... I already miss his predictable condemnation of tow dollies and unbridled praise for Dri Wash n Guard.  ;D

scottydl said:
Some other folks are going to need to step in a substitute for Ron until he gets back... I already miss his predictable condemnation of tow dollies and unbridled praise for Dri Wash n Guard.  ;D
And someone needs to put on a cowboy hat and put it in their avatar.  (Not me - I'd look too dorky)
How about it, Lou?  ;D

Get well soon Ron.

Hello Ardra, my friend . . .

So sorry to read of Ron's illness -- am sending the best kinda vibes his way, plus hugs to Sam. Ron's middle name is, "How can I help you out today, fellow RVer?" and is one of those that knows the answers to most of the questions we ask. Please pass on as time and circumstance permits that I miss him on the forum and at the other end of the phone when I need help -- or just to find out how things are going.

And thank you, Ardra for the updates . . .

scottydl said:

Scott,

You forgot his predictable condemnation of Exide batteries!  ;D  ;D

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Scott,

You forgot his predictable condemnation of Exide batteries!  ;D  ;D

And let's not forget his lack of "affinity" for Affinity Group  ;D 

Wendy

Another favorite Ron post is;  "I agree with Ned and/or Gary on that...."
Come to think of it, that's a pretty safe position to take. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back