Roof leaks and foggy windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuchulainn

My better/best half and I bought a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 37 L a couple of years ago. Had a roof leak which was constant and annoying but found it. Found it recently! Believe it or not it was where the 3 roof-mounted satellite dish dome cables enter the mid roof through a cover. Sealant on top of the cable entry, none underneath. Factory incompetence, no pride of workmanship anywhere anymore ! This is an older machine but in otherwise mint condition with just 11,000 miles.
The other issue I see mentioned all over the RV forums is foggy windows and the exorbitant price of replacement/repair. Our  Southwind has the same issue with it's Driver side and Passenger side windows. I resolved this by going to our Local Canadian Tire store, a nation-wide auto parts/sporting goods/hardware store here in Canada. For $20 something bucks each on sale ( Canadian), I bought 2 small 12 volt automotive heater/fans with detachable mounting brackets. I have read people's comments about them not heating their cars/trucks interiors etc. and they probably won't. But if you put these units within 6-8 inches from the bottom of your faulty front windows like I did , you'll be quite happy with the results. Within 5 minutes I could see through the glass to safely use my passenger side mirror and it cleared out most of the condensation within a half hour of starting the coach. Is it a permanent fix? NO! But it will help you in safely driving your motorhome at a fraction of the cost of so-called replacement/repair. I cannot see a double-pane window maintaining it's seal with the constant bending/flexing and temperature differentials our coaches endure. We have camped in Newfoundland, Canada,  Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. All of these Atlantic Provinces border on or are surrounded by the cold North Atlantic and are areas of high  humidity and great variations in temperature. This may not be suitable for you but it worked and is working great for us. In the meantime, please visit your friendly northern neighbours. There are many wonderful camp-sites to be visited! NUFF SAID!

Hey Normand
So fa so good on the slide, unsure of the roof since I found the leak. Good luck with yours and wish me luck with mine.

Back
Top Bottom