Roof repair questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fastlane Tracks

Could someone please provide me with some information about the product used at the Winnebago factory to seam seal and attached the roofing material to the drip rail on my 05 Journey, I would like to use what the factory used and not screw up a lot of hard prep work, don’t want to have to re-do by using inferior products.

Due to the design of the roof-sidewall joint, if the sealant gets compromised the roof skin can peel back in the worst case scenario. Winnebago calls for inspection of that joint every six months. We've discussed this quite a bit over the years so there's some good reading if you search this Winnie board.

If this is the channel where the edge of the roof tucks into, on my View the roof was almost too short, so I needed something that would keep it in place. The channel is quite a bit wider than the roof is thick, so I took some screen wire rubber spline (experimenting with sizes) and carefully tucked in in the channel. This pushed the roof material to the inboard side of the channel, and prevents sealant from filling the channel. I masked the roof material and the outside edge of the channel and use a cauking gun tube of a urethane sealant I got from Home Depot. Winnebago recommends something much softer/weaker for the roof top unless it is painted, then they (if I recall) recommend a urethane type sealant. This is similar to the black sealant used to glue windshields into cars. Where the fiberglass cab over cap and the rear cap overlapped it, I masked and ran a bead of Dicor sealant. This cross section is of a Winnebago View, virtually all WBO models are similar or the same, aluminum extrusions screwed together, with styrofoam glued to them for shape and the roof sheet curling down and into the channel. It leaves a couple of open tunnels that WBO took advantage of to run back up camera cables and the like.

This was a very tedious project even as short as the View is and even given I have an electric scissor lift I could stand on to work.

Charles

1708651836300.png

Back
Top Bottom