Roof Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlhog

We have a 32' travel trailer with a rubber roof that is leaking. My son tried twice to patch it, but it is still leaking. The camper is set up in a seasonal park and has an addition attacthed so taking it in for repairs in a no go. I got a quote for $4000 to fix it on site. Thats sounds like a lot, but I really have no idea of the work/cost involved. Is that reasonable or am I getting took to the cleaners?

$4000 is actually a decent price if they lay a complete new roof. Is your current roof EPDM rubber? Or perhaps metal or fiberglass? And you didn't mention the age.

If the roof isn't torn or the under-structure damaged by water, one option is to simply coat it with an elastomeric roof coating, basically a real thick rubber paint. Kool Seal RV, Liquid Roof, and PLas-T-Cote are some well known brands. The ad link below will give you a general idea of the process.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquidroof.html

I don't know your son's skill level, but it is possible he simply missed some of the leaky places. RV roofs have lots of seams and protrusions that can leak, and if you don't do a thorough job it is just like you did nothing at all.

My above post didn't make much sense. I meant to say RV roof as in the pic in this link

http://gbntone.org/files/Site_0272.jpg

A new RV roof cost me $2500  and I don't have to calk any more.  Of course I wouldn't put on a "rv roof" if I wanted to keep RV mobile.

Path, I thought about a roof like you did, but did not ask at the park yet. Are your vents all still usable? Can you send some better pics of how it is constructed? Does it just sit on the existing roof?

Roamer, Not sure of the roof age. We bought the camper last fall. There is several patches on the roof already and some wood damage under that. Neither my son or I have any skill in fixing a leaky roof.

I agree with gary try the elastometric I have used it on 2 different RV's and it has worked perfect. It has the advantage of getting down into little cracks and sealing them. Just read the directions on drying times and tell who ever is doing the install not to be stingy on the coating  they are applying.  The one thing I learned is NOT to apply it in direct sun light it will dry to fast to spread evenly it tends to self level a little on its own but you still need to spread it kind of even first.

"Path, I thought about a roof like you did, but did not ask at the park yet. Are your vents all still usable? Can you send some better pics of how it is constructed? Does it just sit on the existing roof?""

(Answer)  RV Roof is from a couple camp spots up from me.  Although I've have helped out on 3 of them.  You have to watch weight due to new weight is on top of existing trailer.  2x4's 16 or 18 inches on center with 3/8 or 1/2 sheeting.  Yes, vents on rv still work however you have to have enough venting on your new rv roof cover for rv vents to do any good.  Hence light doesn't come thru like your used to.  And make sure you leave enough room room for a/c.  Don't have any other pics or drawings.  It is just a big wooden frame with 2x6's as base frame and 2x4's as roof supports.  Spend extra time on 2x6 base making good use of a square.  Once you get 1 angle cut done for the roof, you can really knock the thing out. On 1 roof we extended all vents; refrig, tank vents and it really didn't make any difference.  On another we put in skylights to match up with tub skylight and kitchen vent, worked OK when sun was directly at right angle.  Not worth the trouble to mess with in opinion.
When building-- think keeping dry and not how sturdy you can make it. If your base is square that is 3/4 of battle.  Usually went with1 foot overhang and peaked roof not rabbit hutch style.  Price out materials at today's prices maybe it won't be that much cheaper the way prices are going.  An bear in mind once you put a roof on it you won't be towing it any time soon.  I wish our park would allow a pole building type, would be bets of both worlds.

I wouldt want to be next to, you in a wind storm but mayb you have something holding it down

Ok, We been busy looking at our options and have decided to have a roof built over the camper. It will have a tin roof and much cheaper than orginal with no maintance needed. Total cost is $2300 labor included. They will start Monday and complete in a few days. Me will be a happy camper again  ;D I will post some pictures after completion

Could anyone possibly give me an idea of what it would cost to replace the roof on a 2008 Yearling Palomino? Rotted wood from bad sealant. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom