Roof Sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Happy New Year everyone. Jus tgot back from a road trip and we noticed a little moisture in one of
the wall cabinets near the front or the TT. We had a couple of days of rain so I am assuming
that the roof needs to be resealed at all of the seams. It's a 2015 model with and EDM roof.
What is the proper sealant to use for this and do I just seal the whole thing?
Once again I thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. One day I may actually know enough
to offer advice  :)

There are a variety of good sealants that would probably work just fine, but I've been using Dicor for 20+ years and it's never let me down. You can find it in RV stores, but my local Home Depot carries it too. Just don't use a silicone sealant on the roof.

Kev

Thanks Kevin. We have rain in the forecast in a few days. How long does it need to
setup before it can get wet?

Dicor lap sealant, the self-leveling type. It's an excellent product and widely available. It  should set up well enough in a few hours unless it is a really driving rain where the pressure of the raindrop is enough to physically move the caulk around.

You do not want a "roof coat" - you want a "lap sealant" that is compatible with EPDM rubber roofing. Roof "coat" is for a damaged or worn roof membrane where the membrane itself needs to be covered. You just need to find the leaky seam and touch up the caulk.

There appear to be a few different choices for the Dicor. Should I get the 501LSW or the 502LSW?

Any Dicor that is self-leveling for EPDM roofing surfaces should work fine.

For a longer term repair and reinforcement of roof seams, check out Eternabond roof tape.  It requires some minor prep and is not recommend to apply in wet/cold weather, but when done correctly it's a permanent fix and seam-related roof leaks will no longer be a concern!  There are lots of past threads here and Youtube videos discussing Eternabond.

You won't likely be able to find Eternabond at any retail stores, but it can easily be ordered direct from Eternabond.com or a variety of other sites.  Bestmaterials.com is one that has been mentioned here quite a bit, and there are probably plenty of RV supply sellers on Amazon and Ebay too.  You want the 4" wide "Roofseal" version, and many of us go with the 50' x 4" rolls that should cost around $55 each.  Eternabond sells a few additional liquid products too, to aid in proper cleaning/prep and application.

Good catch, butch. Early detection is the key. It's easy to make these roofs last. Mine is 19 years and going, maintenance.

Thanks Gene. I keep picking up tips from this great forum. It helps tremendously
when you are relatively new the RV lifestyle.

You can buy both the Dicor and Ethernabond in Amazon and have them deliver to your house.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom