Roof Top Air- Con Unit Vinyl Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Several months ago I purchased two white vinyl covers to protect the units on my RV. ( Not much call for use in the UK but Spain later who knows? ) See Attachment.

The two covers were shaped to fit my units perfectly and BOTH had securing draw strings.

On Jan 18th we set off from our central England camp site at 03.00am on route to the dock yards at Portsmouth for our ferry that morning to Spain. A good  ? of the way en-route we stopped to top up our LPG habitation tank and noticed that one of the covers missing I presume blown off.

Question, should I have driven the RV with these covers still fitted.......do you guys if you know you are NOT going to use your air-con leave such covers in place?

Attachments

• 41pHHoW7uyL._AA300_.jpg
    41pHHoW7uyL._AA300_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 8
I think the covers, if you even use them at all, are pretty much only for when you have the unit in storage outside and not in a cleared area. 

I have a travel trailer, and we've only used a cover once (on our first trailer) that was stored for the winter outside, underneath some trees. The main reason we used a cover at that time was to keep out tree leaves, etc., but more importantly to keep out wasps (and other insect) nests since that particular AC unit had a pretty large exposed "screen" type area spanning the whole length of the rear of the unit. (I'm not sure today's ACs still have this kind of design).

On our current trailer (which is also stored outside for the winter), we do not use an air conditioner cover, since there are no trees near it at all -- it's basically in a big, paved parking lot. (It does not have this big screen type area on it where on the old trailer we always had some creature trying to nest in the AC)

I'm sure other motorhome owners will chime in, but usually the protective plastic shroud on the AC unit in enough coverage most of the time. I don't think the vinyl covers meant to stay on while any rig is in motion.

Hope this helps!

I use the covers when we store the rig.  It helps protect against UV rays etc.  I noticed on the package they came in it does say DO NOT DRIVE WITH COVERS ON.  We never have either.  Don't think they are made for that, just while in storage.

ruthandken CDN said:
I use the covers when we store the rig.  It helps protect against UV rays etc.  I noticed on the package they came in it does say DO NOT DRIVE WITH COVERS ON.  We never have either.  Don't think they are made for that, just while in storage.
                                        X2                                        I only use mine while in storage..  Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom