Roof Top Cracking - Need Advice Quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheltie

I got caught in a severe wind storm today in my Itasca Suncruiser.  the result was that part of my roof has started to crack, beginning with the curved part that covers the screws et al over the slide out and continuing about 20' down to length of the rain gutter and then in toward the center of the roof in two places.  One goes in toward the fridge vent about a foot, and the other is further back, and is really bad, about a foot and a half.  this is the first day of our four month trip and we are 350 miles from home.

I called my RV tech at home and he said that I should be able to duct tape it securely enough so that the wind won't peal it back not will rain come in.  I've done that but I need further advice as to whether this is the right move.  by that I mean to continue on with the trip or whether I should return home and have it repaired, thus probably ceasing my trip permanently.

If the opinion is that I can last four months with the extra duty duct tape and watch it to be sure it doesn't get any worse, I'd accept that.  If the opinion is that the damage is so serious as to not take a chance, then I'll go home and that's that.

Opinions please, and quickly if possible.

What year/length Itasca Suncruiser?

Pics are worth a thousand words. Pretty hard to picture what you are talking about from your description....

Wavery said:
What year/length Itasca Suncruiser?

Pics are worth a thousand words. Pretty hard to picture what you are talking about from your description....

No pictures available and MH is 2004/39'.

The part that has been damaged is actually part of the roof that wrapped over the edge and conceals the nuts of the slide out.  It has been ripped and has also torn two jagged tears inward toward the center of the MH.

I am assuming it is a fiberglass roof. The duct tape should hold it securely for a short time. I would look into a more permanent repair at your next convenient stop. Look up fiberglass repair in yellow pages. com where ever you are going. You might find someone willing to come to you.

Gorilla duct tape would be my choice until then.

Steve

You have to get it fixed, whether it's home or on the road. I'd be afraid to drive it the 350 miles back home without fixing it. You might do more damage, and costing more to repair. I'd call Winnebago in the morning and see if there's a place close to where you are that can repair it.

If you decide to continue on (and I think I might) you should get some eternabond tape rather than duct tape.

If the cracks are in the fiberglass surface and not caused by structural damage underneath, I would not be afraid to put Eternabond tape over it to seal and drive it home. Gorilla Tape or military-style "100 mpg tape" would probably do as well for a few days journey and easier to get off afterwards.

If no Eternabond available, hardware stores or home centers often have a similar roof sealing tape that would do for the interim.

92GA said:
You have to get it fixed, whether it's home or on the road. I'd be afraid to drive it the 350 miles back home without fixing it. You might do more damage, and costing more to repair. I'd call Winnebago in the morning and see if there's a place close to where you are that can repair it.
I agree with this.... tape of any sort is just a band-aide.... and a poor one at that. Repairing ripped fiberglass is not a big deal. I sure wouldn't let it spoil my trip, that just seems sorta non-productive.

Back
Top Bottom