Rose Parade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NavionIQ

Thinking about going to the 2010/2011 Rose Parade in CA.  Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.  Traveling from Mississippi in 08 Itassca Navion IQ. 8)

I lived in southern Cal for over 30 years and personally I would never go to the Rose Parade, too much of a zoo and it is very difficult to get a good spot to see everything unless you are a few days early and camp out on the street.

However I offer two alternatives:

The day after the Rose Parade they offer the alternate Rose Parade. Instead of the floats moving and the people standing still, the floats are parked (at the staging area) and the people walk around the floats. You get to see the floats like you never would see them on TV or at the parade. Of course the people are not on the floats, but it is still real cool.

The Doo Dah Parade - Held in Pasadena in May. Totally indescribable, you have to see it to believe it. Google it and Youtube it.

Or do all three.

My son lives in Pasadena......I know the city makes lots of concessions for visitors for that time period, but from visiting my son, I will tell you that besides the main streets, the side streets are very narrow and on many only a single car can pass in any certain direction at at time......finding parking and manuvering an rv on Pasadena streets may not be easy

One year we did a Good Sam trip  to Rose Parade.  They had  RV parking for us at a local high school  and provided busses to the reserved bleacher seats. They held a New Years Eve Party at the Ambassador Hotel.  They provided bus tours of floats after the Parade as well.  It was well worth it.  I don't think you should miss the live  parade with the sights and sounds of those big marching bands.  If I were you I would definety go with a group who has pre arranged seating. 

I  spent one night " camped out" on Pasadena Blvd in 1960 and will never ever do that again.  It was cold and rowdy!  By the way one year I was captain of a drill team who marched in the Doo DAh Parade.  All I will say is "What a hoot."

Betty

We've been to the Rose Parade many times.  In our college days in the 60's, we took sleeping bags and sort of slept on the sidewalk.  I don't know your age, but this is definitely something left for those who are young and dumb.  Nowdays, many of the business owners rope off the area in front of their businesses. 

I would recommend that you investigate prearranged seating.  There are lots of companies which offer transport from an outlying area and reserved bleacher seating.  Seeing the floats in person is an unbelievable life experience, and I would strongly encourage you to do it.  It's a lot like fireworks--you have to see it in person to appreciate its magnificence.  As for the "day after" when the floats are parked, many of the flowers have been picked off or fallen off, and while it is still very good, it's nothing like seeing the real thing in action.

We also worked on the CalPoly Pomona float (it's my husband's alma mater) with our kids, sorting flowers and gluing flowers and seeds.  The barns where they do the work are a few miles away from the parade route, and they travel to Pasadena on the 31st.  It is really cold--and if it happens to be "warm"--like in the 60's--they have refrigerated rooms you may be working in.  There is great spirit, and many organizations would welcome your help.  It is so satisfying to work on a float and see it go by--Cal Poly's used to always squirt water at the CalPoly spectator area--but they outlawed it a few years ago.

We are trying to rent a space at a gas station on the parade route, but there's a waiting list.  The people who were there the year before get first shot.  Definitely choose an RV park in one of the neighboring cities, drive your toad to the meeting area, and ride a bus in.  It is a crowded, party atmosphere.

Hope you come!  I know you'll be glad you did!

Linda

We know people who have used Google Earth to pick a good spot to park the RV overnight and then walk a block or so to watch the parade. Apparently, the city cuts a lot of slack in regards to parking regulations. Back in the 60s and 70s, our church used to work on floats as a money making project and we always slept on the streets once we finished the floats before the parade started. It was a lot of fun but I was a teenager at the time.

Enjoy
Wendy

Park your coach in Hastings Ranch and ride a scooter or bike to the parade. The west side is the crowed and rowdy area, you will be on the east side, very sedate. I live three miles from the parade, but I watch it on t.v., usually too cold, this year it was nice out.  Cold for Southern Cali is a little less than 50, I know that would be short pants weather in many parts of the country.

Wendy said:
We know people who have used Google Earth to pick a good spot to park the RV overnight and then walk a block or so to watch the parade. Apparently, the city cuts a lot of slack in regards to parking regulations. Back in the 60s and 70s, our church used to work on floats as a money making project and we always slept on the streets once we finished the floats before the parade started. It was a lot of fun but I was a teenager at the time.

Enjoy
Wendy

What??? I thought you were a teenager now.

Only suggestion I have it electronic.. IF you have a pocket scanner that can cover VHF/UHF program it to scan 145 to 148 MHZ.. I'm not sure what frequencies are used but it should be in that range.

There is also a frequency in the 450 range but I'm not sure what the band limits are there.

Back
Top Bottom