Route 66

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loddy

Hi Guys

I am in a couple of weeks hitting Flagstaff and notice on my not very good map a section of route 66 off the 40 (Seligman to Kingham) I have searched here and the internet and can only find reference to a cafe in Seligman with a sign saying "sorry we are open" the question is has anyone done this section of the Mother Road and is it worth a visit ?????

Loddy  ;)

You might want to stop by Mr. D'z diner in Kingman, AZ.  Oprah Winfrey and her friend, Gayle, stopped there a couple years ago on their cross country trip.  Tom and I have eaten there a couple of times and enjoyed it very much.

http://www.mrdzrt66diner.com/

Margi

If you're going to be in Kingman, you might want to take the 30 mile drive to Oatman. Old western town with burros that roam the streets and eat out of your hands. Lots of old time little shops, with wood sidewalks. The dw and I spent several hours there last year and enjoyed ourselves.

Attachments

• OAT1rs.jpg
    OAT1rs.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 36
It's been a couple of years since I've been across that section of 66. I remember it being a nice drive. Two lane road but very little traffic. Grand Canyon Caverns is along this section of 66.

We did it last May on our way to Moab.  Not much to see but a nice relaxing ride.  We were lucky since there was a huge vintage car show somewhere in the area and hundreds of vehicles from customized hot rods to totally reconditioned classics were driving opposite our direction for a few miles.  I've done the 40 and there's not much going on. 

I traveled all of Route 66 when I was 11 years old. My family moved from Chicago to LA. Imagine a 1956 Chrysler (it's as big as a whale) hauling my mom, dad, two teenage sisters, three year old brother and a full sized Collie (think Lassie) in June without air conditioning.

I have been to Flagstaff many times and it is a great town.

I just recently finished watching a box set of DVDs of a tour of Route 66 they took in a 45 foot Marathon RV (Marathon was a sponsor). It is dirt cheap and well worth watching. It is less than $10 for the 5 DVD set and comes with a colorful Route 66 map:

http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-Marathon-L-Packaging/dp/B000CCZR86/ref=sr_1_10?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341842753&sr=1-10&keywords=route+66+box+set

It's still a good road and the only way to do Rt 66. Who knows, that restaurant in Seligman may be open, or in Peach Springs, if still there. . .

We used to drive frequently from Colorado to California back before they finished I-40, and that stretch of Route 66 was the way you had to go. We enjoyed that stretch of road. I think we may need to do a nostalgia run and take that route next time we head that way.

Wendy

Alaskansnowbirds said:
It's been a couple of years since I've been across that section of 66. I remember it being a nice drive. Two lane road but very little traffic. Grand Canyon Caverns is along this section of 66.

We stayed for a night at the camp ground at Grand Canyon Caverns this last Janurary. Not a bad little camp gound. They have horseback riding and a cavern tour. We were just using it as a stop over and were the only ones in the camp ground that time of year. They also have a restaurant and gift shop. Very close to Peach Springs.

Thanks for all that information I think I'll give it a look

Thanks again

Loddy  ;)

Will do
we are at Bryce Canyon at the moment ( WOW ) and moving on to Moab today to visit the Arches

Loddy

Hi Loddy, we drove the section between Kingman and Oatman last year in a rental car while vacationing in  Las Vegas. I remember the road having tight turns with warnings referring to larger trucks not being allowed on that particular stretch of the highway. Perhaps check ahead of time to make sure that your RV will not be too large for that piece of highway.
And yes, it was breathtaking!! 

loddy said:
Will do
we are at Bryce Canyon at the moment ( WOW ) and moving on to Moab today to visit the Arches

Loddy

Hello Loddy ,

WE were at Bryce 3 weeks ago and as you say WOW . If you haven't been to Zion National Park which is a short distance down the hi way from you . In my openion that is a DOUBLE WOW .

Bill

Hi Bill
Yes we did Zion and the Narrows were something else,
Just parked up at Spanish trail RV park at Moab, that was some spectacular scenery from St George to Moab and of course a real lighting storm with plenty of wind and rain. going to put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea

Loddy  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom