Route from Saskatchewan Canada to Gorham Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittles

I am currently contemplating utilizing my 5 Th wheel camper on a run from Regina Saskatchewan to Gorham Maine.  The trailer  is a 26 1/2 ft Kustom Coach "West Wind" with a GVWR of 7300 #.  The tow vehicle is a 2012 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 with a 5.7 L Hemi.

The plan would be to run south through North & South Dakota into Nebraska on I 29. Then head east on I 80 through Iowa, Illinois and Indiana.  Swing northeast on I 80/I 90 into Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York then down into Massachusetts getting on I 95 for the homestretch into Maine.

The big question is does anyone know of any steep grades (mountain passes) on these interstates that might that cause grief for someone running a rig such as described. 

If there are concerns does anyone have suggestions for a more logical route?

I am pretty sure there are no steep grades etc.......The US route would be a heck of a lot busier, especially going down around the lakes (Chicago etc). A lot of them are toll roads. I guess you would save quite a bit on gas, but I would personally do the Trans Canada and enjoy the sites of Northern Ontario. A lot less stressful. The mileage either way is about the same

Do you have a reason for swinging that far south. If you stay on I94 Fargo to Chicago and east  your trip will be shorter.  You will have tolls to pay, but that may be offset by fuel savings based on Canadian prices.  The most expensive toll is across Ohio, and maybe PA.
Ohio is about $20 for a car, more with the 5er.  You could sign up for EZ-Pass and save money.  EZ-Pass and I-Pass are different but accepted in all states.

You will find some hills, climbs, going through the mountains in PA and NY, but they aren't too bad.

Another route would be ND, SD, 210 to Duluth, Upper WI, Upper MI and cross at Sault St Marie or go south to lower MI and cross at Port Huron  back into Canada to Toronto and east.

Had not given the Canadian Route that much thought (fuel costs) but will take a closer look at it. Thank you for helpful comments.

In regard to going south, no special reason just thought it would be easy to bypass Minneapolis / St Paul and I 29 did not appear like it ran through too many large centers.  It would be a bit farther for sure and the road south of Chicago is really busy.

The toll roads across Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania can be pretty expensive - be glad you don't have a dually.  Look at the costs before deciding to go too far south. 

I would avoid I-80 in PA. There's lots of construction and the road is pretty beat up otherwise. When I came back from Iowa last year I was determined not to use I-80 again on the return trip.

We took I-80/90 as far as Cleveland, then followed I-90 to I-86 and onto I-84. I-86 is the former NY-17. It's a beautiful ride with little truck traffic. There is some construction, but it isn't bad. This is 45 minutes longer than I-80/I-81 to I-84, but well worth it. No tolls, good road, and the I-84 bridge over the Hudson is a fraction of the toll on I-95 or I-287.

You can avoid Chicago by taking 39 south in Wisconsin and then picking up 80. Common route for truckers.

Moisheh

Skittles said:
In regard to going south, no special reason just thought it would be easy to bypass Minneapolis / St Paul and I 29 did not appear like it ran through too many large centers.  It would be a bit farther for sure and the road south of Chicago is really busy.

Mpls-St Paul is a piece of cake.  Have run that route many times with my 5er.  You can drop down to Hwy 2 and run to Grand Forks. I29 to Fargo and I 94 right thru Mpls/St Paul or take 694 around on the north.  I always stay on 94, take Chicago later at night.  Or take 2 all the way to Duluth and across Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, cross to into Canada or take Makinac Bridge to lower Michigan and cross at Port Huron to Canada and then to Kingston and drop back into upper New York.  Word of caution, Makinac bridge is 600' high 5 miles long, if you don't like heights????

If this is a summer trip the route across the Upper Peninsula and back into Canada will be definitely less stressful, a prettier drive, and cooler! We also have driven the Queens Highway all the way to Quebec and down through Jackman, ME which is another absolutely a beautiful drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom