Route, St. Mary, MT to Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floridafran

Hi all,

Would greatly appreciate your help.

We'll be leaving Glacier (St. Mary KOA) Thursday morning (9/8) heading for Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone.  Had originally planned to spend some time in West Yellowstone to start, but have decided to go to FBCG, first.

We'll go back down 464 to Browning, but then what? I accidentally left our Mt. West Directory at home, along with some of the things I'd printed out from advice I'd gotten here.  So I have no way of checking passes/grades until I can locate a place to buy another directory.  Plus, since we're no longer going to spend time in the West Yellowstone area to start, is that still the best way to enter the Park or should we come in on the NW (Mammoth)?  We're 30ft towing a 4 door Wrangler.  My sister and her husband are 30 ft towing a 2 door Wrangler.

I tried to search here but it's so hard with this slow internet connection.  (And it's taking too much of my outdoor time!)    ;D

We'll stop to overnight somewhere along the way so suggestions for that is also appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help.

I would take 89 south out of Browning to 287 south to I15 (actually also 287 south).  I have run this route and don't remember any issues. Mt Directory shows nothing significant.  At Helena I would exit I15 to US 12 east/ 287 South and take 287 all the way to West Yellowstone.

I have not driven 287 from Helena to where it crosses I90, but the Mountain directory shows nothing.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
I would take 89 south out of Browning to 287 south to I15 (actually also 287 south).  I have run this route and don't remember any issues. Mt Directory shows nothing significant.  At Helena I would exit I15 to US 12 east/ 287 South and take 287 all the way to West Yellowstone.

I have not driven 287 from Helena to where it crosses I90, but the Mountain directory shows nothing.

ken

That is the same route that we have used, however, be sure to check the status of 287 from Helena south as there has been construction between about Winston and Townsend.  I am not sure of the current status since it changes frequently.  Check on 511 for MT road conditions.  At Three Forks, you may want to consider heading east to Belgrade and going south on MT 85 and US 191 as that is in the Gallatin Canyon and s considered a scenic route.  Both 287 and 191 are nice drives although 191 will be longer for you and is a slower road in a MH.  If you take 287, be sure to stop at the visitors center at Quake Lake as there is quite a story there.

Also there is a pretty good Deli just north of the junction of 287 and I-90 at Wheat Montana.  Just south of I-90 is a truck stop with usually the lowest diesel prices in the area and certainly cheaper than West Yellowstone or in the park itself.

One other comment, that is a long drive in one day, we usually take 2 days without any sight seeing along the way.  There is a lot to see in some of the small towns, Choteau for example has dinosaur information, local sites etc. 

I strongly recommend checking whatever Montana DOT uses for road conditions and construction. We have not been anywhere in MT or WY in the last two months that did not have highways under construction. In many cases, it was one lane and gravel, and significant stretches, to boot. Fortunately, we were in the toad, but I would not be dragging motorhomes and toads along any of that because of the roughness and drop offs.

No doubt this is related to the harshness and length of this past winter, and the relatively short season to repair roadways and address routine maintenance.

The 191 route out of Belgrade/Bozeman only has one short section of construction just outside of West Yellowstone. Delays shouldn't be more than 15 minutes at the most. The route is really a nice ride though it is about a 50 mile uphill run from Bozeman. Lots of pull offs if you get tired or want to enjoy the scenery. We've done it many times when leaving Yellowstone for major shopping.

When you get to Yellowstone, be sure to stop at the Old Faithful Park Store at the Visitor's Center. We work there along with Bill & Jolene Whetstone.

Ken, Jim G, Kim and Jim D,

Thanks to all of you for your replies and advice.  :)

We will stop to overnight somewhere along the way.  Just depends on how early we can get out of here and what happens along the way.

I've been to Yellowstone twice, but never with an RV so didn't really pay much attention to the roads.  But I do recall some are steeper and more narrow/winding than others.  I just don't remember which ones.  So---

If we enter at West Yellowstone - is the best route to Fishing Bridge to turn left at Madison and head toward Norris and Canyon, then go south to FBCG?  Or is it better to turn right at Madison and go past Old Faithful and West Thumb up to FBCG?

Also, if the other 3 vote against me and decide to enter via US 89 to the entrance at Mammoth, what impact does that have on our in-Park route to Fishing Bridge.

Jim D, we'll be sure to stop by the bookstore and visitor's center to say, "Hi."  I'd love to finally get to meet some of the people I "know" from the forum.

I would go right at Madison and head towards Old Faithful. You could then stop and say hi if you have time. :) From there continue on to West Thumb and then turn left towards Fishing Bridge. It will be a shorter route though you will climb over Craig Pass, which isn't that bad.

Currently, there is a fire just east of Fishing Bridge which might cause a slight problem with smoke. We had much of it drifting into Old Faithful today!

Jim,

Thanks for the additional info.  Sure hope that fire doesn't get too bad.  Looks like there may be some rain in the forecast over the next few days.  That should help.

See you in the Park.

Floridafran,

No smoke today. All the fires are "managed" right now. They will let them burn out unless they come too close to critical locations.

Looks like rain is predicted for Sunday through Tuesday at the moment.

I forgot to mention that coming in on Rt. 89 will be very winding and narrow. The route I mentioned has plenty of room with quite a few turn outs should you require them. I, personally, would not want to drive in from the North entrance in an RV.

Will look forward to meeting you while you are here.

We ran 287 south into West Yellowstone about 3 weeks ago. Ran into some road construction that lasted about 10 minutes. Really no problem. Nice scenic drive.

Floridafran,

As of today the Point fire, near the east entrance has consumed about 1000 acres. It is still managed but you may experience some smoke effects. It is burning the dead fall and underbrush.

Back
Top Bottom