Router, hard wired or wireless? Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy.
I need a router. Hard wire or wireless? Which brand?  Recommendations?

Thanks,
Liz Pearce
Hondo, TX

What are you going to connect to it for the internet side and the client side?  I'm sure you'll need a router with WiFi for the clients, and they all will have some Ethernet jacks as well.  What speed do you need?  If it's just for internet any 802.11n router will work.  Linksys (Cisco) has some inexpensive models that are easy to set up.

Ned said:
What are you going to connect to it for the internet side and the client side?  I'm sure you'll need a router with WiFi for the clients, and they all will have some Ethernet jacks as well.  What speed do you need?  If it's just for internet any 802.11n router will work.  Linksys (Cisco) has some inexpensive models that are easy to set up.

Thanks for responding, Ned. How are you?

We have 2 computers that need to "talk" to the wireless printer. That's what we want the router for. Access to the internet is not a factor.

Best regards,
Liz

Jeff said:
Liz

Where have you been? Back in Buena Vista?

No, we have not been traveling. We are living at the SKP  co-op in Hondo, TX.

Regards,
Liz

Liz,

We're back in Spring Branch for the winter after spending the summer in Milwaukee, as usual.

If you're not going to use the router for internet access, then you just need a WiFi access point configured as a switch.  Here's a bunch, any one of which will work for your purposes.  Or any cheap WiFi router will work too, as it contains an access point and switch.  Just be sure it supports 802.11n, as most do today.  But some older units, if you find a used one, only support 802.11b and g.

I just bought a NetGear AC1450 from Costco.  I was having issues with Netflix loading while I was watching the movie.  It was a big enough problem I was either going to hardwire the DVR to the Internet or drop Netflix altogether.  What a huge loss that would be since my wife and I have developed an affinity for Bollywood movies!  :p 

Anyway, as a last ditch effort, I got the AC1450 and have had ZERO problems since.  Very easy to set up.  Although they recommend using their network name and security code, I prefer to use my own as it a lot easier to remember my own password.

The AC1450 is way overkill for what Liz needs.  I doubt they have any computers or printer that supports 802.11ac.  And no router is needed, just an access point for a wireless switch, which can be had for under $100, probably under $50.

Howdy, Y'all.
Thanks for the replies. We are following a different path. Will let you know what happens!!!

Much obliged,
Liz Pearce

If the printer is "Wireless" than the router must support that.

I use a mix here. I have one computer wired, The printer is wired, Two DVR's are Wired (And toss the odd gig of data between them) and another computer that can be either wired or wireless depending on where it's parked,  I hope to get more (Dedicated job) computers over the winter, Plus two Android devices (Wireless)  Internet access IS a factor for me.. It is provided by a Linksys WiFi "Modem" like adapter.. The router thinks it's a cable modem.

Back
Top Bottom