Rte 80 or 90 by Chicago Area???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdanger

We are planing on a trip from NH to SD within the next 2 weeks.....would like info/tips whether or not to take rte 80 then 39 north or stay on 90 through chicago?  Also, if anyone has done a trip from NH to SD, any tips on where to stay while on the road?
Thanks

We've done it a number of times and much prefer to stay on 80 through IL and into Iowa.  We go north on I-35 mid-way through Iowa or on I-29 on the west edge of Iowa.  Mileage isn't that much different on a long trip and the area around Chicago, and just North of it, is pretty crowded and crazy. 

I also would stay on I-80 at least until I-39. If you decide on I-90, then at least take the I-294 around Chicago. I-294 is still very an urban expressway but not as bad as going through downtown Chicago (but unless you have an I-pass it is a pretty expensive tollroad I-pass cuts the tolls in half).

ken (former Chicagoan)

And if the Tristate Expressway (I-294) is having traffic problems I-355 is now completed from I-80 to I-90 up the west side of Chicago. It isn't much of an improvement over I-294, still urban traffic and tolls but it is a little further west and has somewhat lighter traffic.

I would take the I-294 around Chicago and hook back up with 90.  Difference is whether you want to go through Iowa, or through Wisconsin and Minnesota.  Wisconsin and Minnesota is a lot more scenic, unless you like cornfields.  However, you also have to contend with the Minneapolis-St Paul area as well if you go that way.  Take it slow and easy, you are on vacation.

If you take I80 through IL, places to stay along the way that are nice, but within 5 miles or so of the interstate would include (from east to west) Starved Rock SP, Johnson Sauk Trail SP, and Geneseo Campground (in my hometown). Check rvparkreviews.com for more info.

We live in Rockford, which is at the junction of I-90 and I-39. We have gone to the Black Hills twice from here. I-80 to I-39 is way out of your way. A better route is I-80 to I-294 to I-88 and then to I-39.

Its the route we take home any time we go east of the Chicago area. Its quicker, and you only have heavy Chicago traffic from about the 25 mile marker in Indiana to past Aurora, IL on I-88.

An I-pass is $10.00 for a transponder and can be purchased at any oasis on the tollway. You will cut the 5 tolls on the route I gave you in half. If you are from out east and already have an EZ Pass, they work in IL.

I-88 will take you to the Quad Cities (Moline, Rock Island in IL and Davenport and Bettendorf in IA) where you can hook back up with I-80 should you choose to go that way.

If you choose to go I-39/I-90, when you get to the junction of I-90/I-94 in Tomah, WI, stay on I-90 to SD. You will avoid the Minneapolis area which has horrible expressways. Especially I-494 around the north side which is the preferred route. When we came through there in May, eastbound for home, lots of construction.

Have fun on your trip.

Stan

While the I-Pass allows you to register multi-vehicles to one transponder and will charge you based on the number of axles that the system records (ie it automatically charged us the correct amount for the RV with the Jeep, we also used it daily to use the Jeep to go into Chicago).

I am not sure that EZ-pass will work that way, but if you have an RZ-pass for your MH it should be OK.

ken

Actually, we have 4 vehicles on one account, each with their own white transponder. The MH is one of the 4, but we have a blue transponder, which is the same that big trucks use. When we have the toad, we take the transponder out of the window, wrap it in foil and put it in the glove box so we don't get charged twice for the toad's axles.

Stan

We just have the one transponder, registered to both the jeep and the motorhome.
But then we are only in the Chicago area every few years.

ken

We drove I-80 from Chicago west last week and were pleasantly surprised.  All the construction that was such a nightmare the last time through there has been completed and it was reasonable driving.  The roadbed was good.  Using the tollroads is expensive and I-80 is still free.

ArdraF

Thanks to all of you who replied and offered suggestions.....we are planning on avoiding the Chicago area altogether and your tips about "shortcuts" and still avoiding major traffic areas will be heeded.  Thanks to all of you who offered tips on where to stay....scoping things out and firming up plans.....

We do have an EZ pass transponder on our Motor home and use it when we are here in New England.

I-90 in Minnesota is far south of Mpls-St Paul.  It is a nice straight run. A few campgrounds along the way, but a few miles of the Interstate.  At Fairmont you will see Jack's RV Salvage just 1/2 mi  off the road if you need parts.

We made the trip from Nevada to Michigan via I-80 and I was very pleased with the roads in Iowa but IMHO I-80 in Illinois is the worse road that I have ever driven on. I've driven on dirt roads that were better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom