Rubber Roof Issue - or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrwpmw

I just got my new (2008) Four Winds TT from Byerly RV in St. Louis.

I was cleaning the roof (really dirty after sitting on their lot for the last year or more) and noticed that the Rubber Roof had air pockets in it at places, especially around the seams.  See the attached pictured.

I just sold a Coachman Spirit of America TT that was 5 years old and never noticed anything like that.    As a matter of fact that Coachman Rubber Roof seemed more like a solid rolled on rubber rather than on this Four Winds which seems more like a 'sheet' of material that was put down?  But maybe all rubber roofs are the same?

In any case, I appreciate your thoughts as always!  If that rubber being loose with air pockets is an issue, then I want to return it for service.

Attachments

• Picture809 435.jpg
    Picture809 435.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 206
That is an installation defect - I would make a warranty claim ASAP. Don't let them talk you out of it - there should be no bubbles or ripples in it.  In all probability is is an EPDM rubber sheet product from Dicor and they would likely back you up on  this if needed.

Well, I just got a call from the dealer.  They said this is normal, common on a lot of campers, common contraction and expansion.  Therefore there is nothing to fix.

I really would appreciate input from those of you who have rubber roofs, is this really common?  I know the one guy that replied to this post didn't think so (thank you by the way) but I would like more opinions - also what are my options? 

Thanks again!

My '99 Fleetwood has no bubbles or ripples.  My friend's '95 Fleetwood has no bubbles or ripples.  Another friend's '05 Bounder has no bubbles or ripples.  Sounds like the dealer is trying to skate out of doing what is right.

We traded our 1990 Allegro in 2005. The roof was smooth and solid with no ripples, bubbles and little wear. Our Damon is almost 5 years old, and the rubber roof is solid and flawless.

I am suspicious or your dealer.  :(

We noticed a strange sound coming from the rooftop of our MH when returning from our recent trip. I figured the MAXX-AIR cover had loosened or something and we were hearing turbulence.

On inspection, The rubber roof has loosened and has wrinkles, bubbles, and areas where you can pinch and lift the EPDM. The sound was the rooftop flapping in the breeze!

I need to get this fixed, and the sooner the better. Any idea how long the rootop warranty is on a Coachmen "C"?

Attachments

• rooftop.jpg
    rooftop.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 26
No bubbles or raised areas on mine or any that I've seen.  I have heard dealers say that leaving the rig out in the sun will make it go down tight.  Can't see where that is your problem.  I would definitely get a claim filed right away.  Dicor is pretty good about supporting their product and should be willing.  It was probably a faulty installation and if the dealer is telling you different, he is either shirking his responsibility or ignorant about rubber roof problems.  Might need to have the factory switch you to another dealer for repair.

Back
Top Bottom