Rubber roof raised on sides??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bttravel

My 2004 Keystone has the rubber roof and cleaning it this spring I noticed along the border from the very outside edge in an area about 3 inches wide seemed to be raised slightly around most of the roof and I can push it down with my hand and it will slowly come back up. It is not a big bubble or sorts, it just appears that the material is not "stuck" down around the perimeter area, but the seam edges appear to be nice and tight. Couldn't find any place where it has actually come loose and was flapping or could be pulled up. Also, no leaks inside anywhere. ( close inspection ) Should I be concerned early on this, does it need to be resealed/glued or is it okay as long as it doesn't start actually pulling away from the roof. It looks to be in good shape all together. It is covered in the winter, exposed in the summer and we do maybe 4 or 5 pulls in the summer of about 400 to 500 miles round trip. Thanks early for the input and advice. My older ones all had thunk, thunk, alum roofs.

I have not had the chance to deal much with my new to me RV it has the rubber roof also. However this sound like a poor glue job to me it should be tight down to the wood. I would be concerned that it would start to peel up at some point maybe while driving. As far as how to fix it I would assume you take the trim off around the edge of the roof and just reglue it back down with what ever you are suppose to use with rubber roof I know you are not to use certain chemicals on the roof.

The research i have done on roofs has told me that some "bubbling of the roof is not unusual or detrimental. It still keeps the water out. My roof on my 2005 has a few bubbles in it but still dry inside, just keep an eye on them. I walk the roof of my camper about every 3rd camping trip. Don't forget to take your shoes off though. Happy Camping  Eric

My C has some bubbles and raised areas like yours if I'm reading your description correctly. The area in the front of mine has the biggest bubbles and the roof does flap when traveling in hot weather. I asked the local dealer what should be done, and they offered to replace the roof....not likely.

My plan of action is to make a few slices in the roofing material and inject a cement or rubberized glue of some sort into the bubbled areas and work the glue around to hold the material down. I bought some Eternabond to make patches to place over the sliced areas. I just need to decide what glue to inject and gather up enough gumption to do it.

Joe

to 1Joester2
I was told by rubber roof manufacturers to NOT cut or poke holes in bubbles of rubber roof to fill with glue because they said it would start leaking.  I have aweful roof issues with a new TT and it has long large bubbles and loose spots but that is not the issue or the problem - its everything else about the roof!

The rubber roof people just want to sell you new roof fabric. A properly done repair will last as long as the roof material itself, and it is not at all hard to do the job properly.

Back
Top Bottom