running a room a/c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypink

Got a question. We are going on our maiden voyage next week. We will be hooked up to a 30amp outlet at the park. My brother will tent it outside the rv with friends and is bringing a window unit[5000 btu] to put in the tent. Will he be able to plug into one of my outlets outside. My a/c will be going as well as his. Will the 30amps be enough to run both a/cs? Thanks for the advice in advance.

If the electric pedestal has a 20A outlet in addition to the 30A outlet, he could use that, but only if the 20A is on its own feeder and not sharing the 30A feeder.

I do not think the definitive answer is "NO".  A typical case of people with zero experience in the matter chiming in.  I have one 20 amp circuit on my 30 amp 1993 Dolphin.  The 20 amp circuit powers ALL the 110 outlets on the RV.  I also have a 6500 btu window AC running full time as I write  with  one 13.5 btu roof unit going at the same time.  So to me the answer is "Most likely yes".  I register between 22 -27 amps usage with this setup.  A vacuum cleaner, coffee pot or hair dryer used simultaneously with the window AC on will pop the breaker.

I think I'd tell brother to get his own campsite with his own electric and then you don't have to worry about it.

Wendy

As Andyj says, a small a/c , say 5000-6000 btu might well work. But not much else could be running in the Rv at the time. Besides, it makes more sense for him to plug direct into the power pedestal - nearly all 30A posts have a 20A outlet as well.

I run 2 units but have to have different hookups for each.  Window units.  The small 8k btu unit runs off one 30 amp hookup along with the rest of the rv, and the other 12k btu unit has an entirely different 30 amp.  In addition to running the 8k btu, if, say, a large fan is plugged in and then the microwave is used, it can't handle it. 

Luca1369 said:
That's sort of a broad assumption there Andy.

Internet commandos are a bain on every forum I frequent.  Neophytes are given bad info and that just doesn't set well with me. I think forum etiquette should include replying only if you have direct experience with the subject matter.  Close doesn't count.  'Nuff said.  I hate to hijack a thread.

RV Roamer said:
As Andyj says, a small a/c , say 5000-6000 btu might well work. But not much else could be running in the Rv at the time. Besides, it makes more sense for him to plug direct into the power pedestal - nearly all 30A posts have a 20A outlet as well.

Agreed Gary.  That is the BEST option.  The OP did specifically reference piggybacking off of his 30amp service.  I find I can run my rooftop AC and my microwave with no problem with the window AC running.  Three different circuits involved there.  I cannot however run any amp hogs on any of the 110 outlets with the window AC running.  TV, DISH receiver, computers plugged in etc are fine on 110.

Andy and All, do you think the year of the rv has anything to do with handling the load?  Mine is very old, picked up for next to nothing (I figured on investing in it at that price and with it issues, of course, lol). 

One thing I've come to highly value is other people's experiences or the experiences of even their second hand info from their friends or family.  It's saved me a lot of stress, money, and hassle "riding on the skirttails" of other's experiences.  But then again, I'm a single person with limited knowledge, somewhat, and limited resources for "try overs", by choice, I might add. : D

I believe it would be best to hope for the best but plan for the unexpected so nobody is disappointed on a really great camping get-together.  The rec for planning to get their own hookup sounded great. 

AndyJ said:
I do not think the definitive answer is "NO".  A typical case of people with zero experience in the matter chiming in.  I have one 20 amp circuit on my 30 amp 1993 Dolphin.  The 20 amp circuit powers ALL the 110 outlets on the RV.  I also have a 6500 btu window AC running full time as I write  with  one 13.5 btu roof unit going at the same time.  So to me the answer is "Most likely yes".  I register between 22 -27 amps usage with this setup.  A vacuum cleaner, coffee pot or hair dryer used simultaneously with the window AC on will pop the breaker.

Your setup is totally different than what the OP was talking about.

I said NO! not because the 30 amp breaker would not have enough amps to run both A/Cs.

I said NO! because running a temporary extension cord in a campground is illegal, dangerous and stupid. This is totally in violation of the National Electrical Code.

I am not an "Internet Commando" and I don't understand why you are so rude that you must call people names who don't agree with your opinion, and that is all you have is an opinion. You are certainly not an electrical expert just because your setup works. 

I am a retired union electrician with about 40 years of service. You owe some people here an apology.

Ned said:
If the electric pedestal has a 20A outlet in addition to the 30A outlet, he could use that, but only if the 20A is on its own feeder and not sharing the 30A feeder.

If the pole  or box has a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker does that mean there are separate feeders?
J

34footer said:
If the pole  or box has a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker does that mean there are separate feeders?

Not necessarily.

So you really have to find out thru trial and error. I've never seen anyone pump a/c into a tent, does it work well?
J

I said NO! not because the 30 amp breaker would not have enough amps to run both A/Cs.

But Tom, how can you be so sure when you don't know the amps of the a/c's involved?  If the window a/c in question is one of the smaller ones (likely if it is being toted to a campground), the amps are probably only in the 6-7 range.  That's a typical power draw for a 5000-6000 btu a/c unit and not too much for a 30A supply and another larger a/c..

I believe that the safety of the occupants of the tent has to come into play. While the amp draw can be debated endlessly, ie campground wiring, low voltage causing higher amp draw etc.  To me the real issue is using a unit that is meant to have the control end inside a weatherproof building, in an environment where water can get where it is not supposed to be. Not to mention that it will be putting out quite a bit of condensate that will be running on the ground right next to the tent.  Might get a bit soggy underneath.

RV Roamer said:
But Tom, how can you be so sure when you don't know the amps of the a/c's involved?  If the window a/c in question is one of the smaller ones (likely if it is being toted to a campground), the amps are probably only in the 6-7 range.  That's a typical power draw for a 5000-6000 btu a/c unit and not too much for a 30A supply and another larger a/c..

You didn't read my poorly written double negative correctly. I am saying that it doesn't matter if there is or is not enough amps to power both A/Cs. That's not the issue.

The issue is safety. It is against code to wire up a tent in a campground with temporary power. People can trip on the cord, rodents can chew the cord, rain can cause real problems with an illegal extension cord.

AndyJ said:
Internet commandos are a bain on every forum I frequent.  Neophytes are given bad info and that just doesn't set well with me. I think forum etiquette should include replying only if you have direct experience with the subject matter.

As I said, you made a broad assumption.  How did you come to the conclusion that the posters who said NO were neophytes?  I agree with Tom, you owe a couple of folks on here an apology.

Other than that I agree with Wendy.

Back
Top Bottom