Running on battery power while connected to the shore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom H.

I've been full timing now for a month. That's 11 separate camp sites. My batteries (2 group 27 added for extra dry time) have not had any strain on them this whole time. If I were to throw off the breaker for the converter, would that simulate dry camping to the batteries (with a big red note on my steering wheel to remind me )? If I have read these forums correctly, the battery life would be extended.

You'll get several points of view expressed here.  Personally, I don't see any up-side benefit to your batteries by doing what you suggest unless you know for certain that your (make/model) converter has a history of boiling batteries.. 

While you are plugged into shore power your converter is supplying 12 volts to the house circuits and is charging your batteries.  It's very doubtful that there is enough left over capacity to "over-charge" the batteries.  In my opinion, they do not require exercise in the form of discharge/charge cycles.

You miss the point of the question. I am just trying to simulate dry camping. Using the 2 deep cell batteries for what I intended. My charger works just fine. I just feel, after reading many threads saying " my batteries are going dead so soon, I never camp where there is no power". I am asking if my turning off the converter will act as if I am dry camping. I just want to ensure long battery life by using them as storage and use batteries.

Tom H. said:
You miss the point of the question. I am just trying to simulate dry camping. Using the 2 deep cell batteries for what I intended. My charger works just fine. I just feel, after reading many threads saying " my batteries are going dead so soon, I never camp where there is no power". I am asking if my turning off the converter will act as if I am dry camping. I just want to ensure long battery life by using them as storage and use batteries.

I don't think I missed your point at all, but you sure have missed mine.

YES, if you cripple your converter you will operate (your 12 volt needs) on battery power just as you would if you were dry camping.  Beyond that, you have proven nothing.  You certainly have NOT increased the overall life of your batteries by any measurable amount. 

In fact, every charge/discharge cycle removes some degree of battery life.  JMHO, your mileage may vary. 

I a;gree it would be about as close as you can get without actually going there.. The loss of battery life (one discharge cycle) you will not be that significant.

The knowledge of how long your batteries SHOULD run your coach without shore power is more than worth the cost.

Your batteries have a limited number of charge & discharge cycles over the course of its life. Why would you want to use up one of those cycles by forcing battery discharge when you have shore power available? I don't know what you read, but discharging the batteries will NOT increase the longevity of the batteries in any way.

If you want to simulate dry camping, why don't you just unplug the 110 electrical plug and run on 12 volt?  Maybe I'm not understanding your question, but what you want to do sounds complicated AND will do more harm than good to your batteries.  Perhaps you want to simulate so you can test your system to make sure everything is working?  Or, perhaps figure out what works on 110 and what works on 12?  It's okay to do that, but you surely don't want to run your batteries down.  The more you do that, the faster will be your battery replacement time.

We use the term power management which means we manage our available power to keep our batteries running at their maximum and without running them down too far.  Usually the better we manage them, the longer they will last.

ArdraF

Thank you all. The question is now clearly answered for me. I need the experience of combined years to have the best experience of mine. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Back
Top Bottom