Rusted-out tailpipe on '07 Allegro Bus - Too early??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hugh37

As original owner with 43,000 miles on my '07 Allegro Bus, I was recently changing oil when saw that my tailpipe was completely rusted out!  Living in East Tennessee and with no exposure to elements that generally cause early deterioration, I really was surprised.  I've not yet inspected the complete exhaust system, but would appreciate hearing whether this problem is unusually early and too, if I can expect that the entire system is likely in need of attention.  Thanks, in advance, for all responses.

The reason that would happen this early could be one of many. One that I saw a lot when I was in the repair business was short trips or warm ups in the yard. Grandma's car would invariabley rust out the muffler long before Fred the commuter rusted his out. Fred drove 60 miles each way to work and grandma drove 2 miles to the grocery store. Then twice a week she'd go out and "warm up" the car to keep it in good shape. The moisture she created yet never totally burned out kept the inside of the exhaust system wet with sulphur rich goo all the time.

7 years and 43000 miles seems early to me. Is it possible that some of your trips are short or your warmups are contributing? The total miles are good, but how you get them could be a contributing factor.

Ken

Appreciate your thoughts, Ken.  I never make short trips, and am not one to start and run the engine for short
periods.  One thing I did quite some time ago was cut a few inches off the chrome tip.  I had backed into a picnic
table and badly bent the tip, so I just hacksawed off the "ugly" part.  I wouldn't think that has caused the tailpipe 
to stay hotter than it otherwise would.  Any thoughts as whether shortening the chrome tip could create any such
problem?  I've yet to call my local Freightliner folks..before calling local I'll probably call Freightliner in Gaffney.
Your thoughts, again Ken, if you will.  Larry

I doubt that shortening the pipe had any effects, unless the slope on the pipe was backwards and allowed water to pool in the pipe when it rained.  I had a 2010 diesel Winnebago and it's tip looked like crap in less than 2 years.  And I never drove in the snow either.  Sometimes it's just the materials that the pipe is made out of.

Sometimes it's just the materials that the pipe is made out of.

Good point Sarge, On my last RV the pipe lasted 14 years without signs of corrosion.
  The worst thing that happened was that the rear support clamp rusted and broke.  Had to use my McGyver skills to fix it at a wonderful rally we had in Alabama.  A holed strap from a local hardware store, a screw and a bolt. It's probably still working now 10 years later; whoever bought my rig 2009.
Edit: Fixed tags.

I wouldn't think that shortening the tip would have any effect. I'm guessing maybe you just got some cheaper material than one would like to have. Exhaust pipe can be made in different thicknesses and materials and can be "aluminized", galvinized, or stainless or whatever else. Give it a good rap test and see how much needs replaced. You might get lucky and find just a small section is bad.

Parts and pieces to replace the pipe may be available at a truck supply store for DIY repairs.

Ken

Thanks Ken & All for the input.  I'll give my system a thorough inspection, and will also get the thoughts of the
folks at Freightliner in Gaffney.

Just what are we talking about here? Usually there isn't much tail pipe on a diesel pusher. Maybe a foot or two behind the muffler? Or the short, possibly flex, pipe from the header to the muffler? Or maybe the muffler itself?

Gary, I'm referring to what I call the tailpipe, which attaches to the muffler and has a chrome tip.  While it is just
a small piece of pipe, only two feet or so in length, it carries a huge price tag...almost $400. through Freightliner!
Thankfully, I was capable of making the replacement, saving maybe in labor half of the purchase price?  It sure
seemed to me, under the conditions explained in the posts, that the tailpipe rusted out way too early.  With the
information given, what are your thoughts?  Thanks, in advance, Larry

If the pipe is welded to the muffler, you will need a muffler shop to replace it. It sure won't be $400 bucks though.  Probably way less than half.  Chrome tips can be had on Amazon for $50.  I replaced a chrome tip on my 2010 Journey when the Freightliner tip rusted out, then fell off.

In my case the tailpipe was attached with clamps.  Took a little working at it to get them off.  The new tailpipe
from Freightliner looked to be really quality, was quite heavy, and did set me back well over $300.  I haven't
yet had chance to inspect the rest of the exhaust system...sure hoping to find it in good shape...can't imagine
the cost of replacing it!  Larry

Usually the chrome tip is a separate item from the length of pipe that connects to the back of the muffler. You can get the tips at most any truck parts supply house or "chrome shop" you see along major interstates that have a lot of truck traffic. The best tips are stainless rather than chrome, but stainless is pricey. Exhaust pipe in 5" or 6" should be readily available through truck parts shops too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom