RV A/C and hard start capacitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

Hello All, I've got a 1997 5r with a Dometic rooftop a/c system. I picked up a $550.00 2900/3200 quiet generator from Costco (Firman brand) in hopes of running my A/C. My old Coleman 3500/4000 generator ran the a/c fine, but is really loud. The a/c will start off the Costco generator, but when it cycles off, then on again, it often overloads the generator, which means I have to unplug from the gennie, then shut down and re start gennie to get a/c again. I tried a couple different hard start capacitors from Amazon (SPP6 Supco and Antoble brands both about $10.00) but they actually made things worse- the gennie would die when the a/c is first turned on. I've tried turning a/c to gas and turning off all power in the RV already.

Any other ideas for hard start capacitors or other options? I know the right answer is to get a bigger gennie, but a 4000w quiet gennie is way out of my price range.

Thanks for any ideas!

It's not cheap, but the Easy Start 364 claims to lower the starting surge below what an easy start capacitor can accomplish.

There are several Youtube videos showing it letting roof A/Cs start and run on 2000 watt inverter generators.  I don't have any experience with this device, but I have seen similar technology work.  My shed has a Frigidare Energy Star 5000 BTU soft-start window air conditioner that will start and run on my Honda EU1000i in eco mode.  The same size A/C it replaced wouldn't start on a Honda Eu2000i generator.

I am curious as to the elevation of the trailer when you tried your new genny setup.  We ran into a similar problem with our Predator 3500 when we were above 7000'

Lou Schneider said:
It's not cheap, but the Easy Start 364 claims to lower the starting surge below what an easy start capacitor can accomplish.

I can run a 15K A/C with my Honda 2200.  The A/C has an Easy Start.  I installed two of them, one on each A/C.

Back
Top Bottom