RV Alarm System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JST4FUN

I did a forum search on this and didn't find any substantive information. If I missed it, I apologize in advance. I did find several references to firearms, but that's a different issue! Are there any quality alarm systems available for a MH? Is this something you experienced RVers find necessary? When not in use, our rig will be stored off site in a reasonably secure covered, but not enclosed, storage area. I know one thought is it's insured so not to worry, but we just like to consider all options!

Thanks!!

Have never found an alarm system to be necessary, but then I would not stay in a place where I thought I actually might need one either.

Are you thinking of the doors and windows? Heck, it's so easy to break into an RV, an alarm is almost a joke. Sometimes things left outside get stolen (campgrounds near larger metro areas), but actual brak-ins are pretty rare.

Don't know of any alarms for RVs but even if there were such an animal, if you had it on while in storage it would soon run down the battery. I used to have a sign by the door of my previous RV that said that the unit was protected by an alarm system.  ;D But I didn't put it on my new RV because the criminals probably couldn't read anyway. However, the sign that says "This RV protected by Smith & Wesson might work.  ;)

I have ADT in my home but it would be so easy to break in to a R.V. On that subject what or are their any regulations for carrying a firearm in your R.V.?
I sure wouldnt want to go anywhere without some protection. Here in Ky. we have a Concealed Weapon License you can get and take your gun anywhere with you. I wouldnt want to take it under most cases but I will be traveling alone and it does indeed make a difference... just wondering about this... is there many incidents of people traveling being bothered or hurt?     

We have an alarm on our coach and have never used it.  We too, store ours in a storage area and don't have electric to it while being stored, so it would, as BruceinFl mentioned, run the battery down really quickly.

Marsha~

Tootsweet said:
I have ADT in my home but it would be so easy to break in to a R.V. On that subject what or are their any regulations for carrying a firearm in your R.V.?
I sure wouldnt want to go anywhere without some protection. Here in Ky. we have a Concealed Weapon License you can get and take your gun anywhere with you. I wouldnt want to take it under most cases but I will be traveling alone and it does indeed make a difference... just wondering about this... is there many incidents of people traveling being bothered or hurt?     

Every state in the Union is different -- if you carry you had better know the laws of the state you are carrying in. 

As far as alone is concerned,  get a dog.  No kidding, dogs work -- I have seen it.  They only need to be territorial  -- I would not have a vicious dog

Yup, Carl L is ABSOLUTELY correct about the dog.  Even take one step further, place a BIG dog watering bowl and a HEAVY dog leash chain right outside the door where anyone can see it..... I used to "carry" but varying State Laws are difficult to comply with.  I then started to "carry" a 12ga Pump Action Shotgun, but this option only works when you are physically present in the RV.  Only have had 1 incident in 50 years of RV-ing where the mere sound of a "wracking" pump action made the would-be thief run like hell.

As I see it, there are 3 scenarios where alarms are useful............ When you are inside the parked RV, when you are away shopping from your RV, and long term storage for your RV.

It would be nice to have a system that would cover all 3.  The most difficult, as I see it, is long term storage assuming that the storage facility does not have some type of security.  Without re-charging the batteries in your toys, the parasitic draw on them will discharge the batteries during the long term.  I use multiple, small solar trickle chargers on everything (RV (House & Staring), ATV, Golf Cart, Lawn Mower, etc).  Remotely locating these charger panels in a window works just fine.

So, knowing that the trickle charger will keep the RV (House & Starting) batteries charged I now use a design of my own (previous life as an electronic tech) which basically a 12vdc Ice Cube Relay, 12 vdc Motion Detector, 120vac tape player, a 120vac siren, and the existing porch light.  Basically it works like this........Motion Detector (powered by 12vdc) senses movement (either inside or outside) and energizes the Ice Cube. an output from the Inverter (already installed) is fed through contacts of the Ice Cube to a standard 120vac receptacle.  Alarming devices (lights, pre-recorded barking dog, loud radio music, siren, etc) are plugged into this receptacle.

It's all hooked up and ready to go.  It gives DW peace of mind (which gives me peace of mind, if you understand), although I never have had it alarm in a "situation"........ In closing, and after 50 years of enjoying the tent/trailer/RV life style,  I have found your security is basically common sense.  Listen to your gut, let your vibes dictate your re-actions.  IF a thief really wants something NO AMOUNT of security devices will thwart them...........

What kind of alarm do you want.. There are several alarm systems.. I will go into a general description of some of them.

One type is motion alarms. these use either infra-read or ultra-sound to detect motion of a large body (Bigger than a dog) inside the motor home.. NOTE. big dogs can set 'em off

So will fire or in some cases strong wind.

There are permeriter alarms. these sense open doors or windows or broken windows

I think the motion alarms are best and they should work well in a motor home cause an ultra sound or I/R alarm can often see the full length of the rig, meaing an intruder has no place to hide.

Now we get to the alarm.. Lights, Bells, Sirens, all are nice and call attention to your rig but ... Well... in a campground they might do good but in storage who's going to notice.

They make alarms which use a cellular phone to ring you up as the Britts say.  NOTE: have it call YOU not the police.  That's likely the best choice.

Finally what works best... Well.. I like the concrete fido alarm

A statue, made of concrete, of a Rot or a Sheppard/Lab cross, in full "Attack" pose, Digital recorded growl or snarl and motion detector eyes.. (That would be one ALARMED burgler trust me)

Or the P-K-9 System.. burgler, as he loads up the family silver, hears "Jesus is watching you". Freezes, looks around sees nothing, goes back to work and again hears "Jesus is watching you".. Well the 3rd time he spots the parrot "So what you are just a stupid bird, what can you do.. And what kind of idiot names his parrot Jesus?  "Oh, I'm not Jesus, I'm Moses" Ok, then what kind of idiot names his parrot Moses "The same kind that names his Rottweiler Jesus, and Jesus is watching you"

My motorhome came with a security system like cars come with.  I'm the idiot that has set it off several times.  I'm real careful not to set it off in a campground at 6:00 in the morning.  The only time I have had any trouble was about 15 years ago in Birmingham Alabama.  We had parked at a big mall at noon on Sunday and while we were gone someone tried to break into the side door.  We interrupted them before they got the door open.  They just bent the metal frame.  I don't know why they didn't just break a window but glad they didn't.  It would have been slim pickings.  About the only thing they could have stolen was a 12 inch tv and maybe a video game.  I would like to put one of the GPS systems so it could be found if stolen but don't want to spend $1,000.  At night I keep my keys near by so I could set off the panic button if needed.

I read a story recently about a couple that came back to their motorhome that was at a repair shop and ran into thieves.  One had their gun but the man got it away from him.  They could well have been shot with their own gun.  I wouldn't want to be walking around with a gun or leave it in my motorhome for someone to steal.

I usually travel alone so try to be aware of what is going on around me.  If I see something that makes me nervous I just drive off.  That's why I have a motorhome.  The only time I have to get out is to get gas.  I fill up when it gets down to 1/2 tank so I have time to find a station I like.   

Thanks to all for your responses. The type I was thinking about would be one that goes off if a door/compartment is opened while the system is armed. Maybe it would include a motion sensor as well. It appears they are not widely used in RVs. My storage area has power so that should not be a problem. I guess someone could unplug shore power and come back later hoping the batteries have drained. Anyway, not to belabor this, our thought right now is to not worry about a physical alarm and take the common sense approach. We are just trying to cover all the bases before we start our adventure in a couple months.

Thanks again, more questions coming I'm sure!

If you are in a storage area with power then think about these points

12 volt (Battery) operation, and if you have a good 3-stage converter on your rig see if you can plug JUST IT in (if not plug in the whole rig and turn off everything else at the breaker box)

2: Cell Phone auto dialer.. Have it call YOU,  then you buzz the fuzz  (Robo calls to 9-1-1... Illegal don't you know)

3: In your case a combination of open door (Compartment) and motion (inside) might be best.

4: Sticker, sold by Smith & Wesson  "Forget the Dog, Beware the Owner"

Acadianmom said:
My motorhome came with a security system like cars come with.  I'm the idiot that has set it off several times.  I'm real careful not to set it off in a campground at 6:00 in the morning.  The only time I have had any trouble was about 15 years ago in Birmingham Alabama.  We had parked at a big mall at noon on Sunday and while we were gone someone tried to break into the side door.  We interrupted them before they got the door open.  They just bent the metal frame.  I don't know why they didn't just break a window but glad they didn't.  It would have been slim pickings.  About the only thing they could have stolen was a 12 inch tv and maybe a video game.  I would like to put one of the GPS systems so it could be found if stolen but don't want to spend $1,000.  At night I keep my keys near by so I could set off the panic button if needed.

I read a story recently about a couple that came back to their motorhome that was at a repair shop and ran into thieves.  One had their gun but the man got it away from him.  They could well have been shot with their own gun.  I wouldn't want to be walking around with a gun or leave it in my motorhome for someone to steal.

I usually travel alone so try to be aware of what is going on around me.  If I see something that makes me nervous I just drive off.  That's why I have a motorhome.  The only time I have to get out is to get gas.  I fill up when it gets down to 1/2 tank so I have time to find a station I like.   
s

you do realize that most basement and oustide storage keys are all the same on all trailers,  I think it is a 757 key? if I remember the number.  I found this out when we had a travel trailer that I somehow locked the keys inside and a neighbor camper came over and unlocked the basement storage and we were able to send one of the the kids up through the bed.  I think it is the same in motorhomes as well.  I know my key worked on new ones we looked at, (just had to check)  The salesman was amazed. (he was new)  so I wouldn't put an alarm system on it. A thief will always find a way.

mphy98 said:
you do realize that most basement and oustide storage keys are all the same on all trailers, 

Not on mine. I had all new locks put on when bought my rig.

I do a lot of hiking when I travel, and I travel outside of Anchorage almost every weekend in the summertime. I guess it is a sign of the times that thieves have been monitoring and hitting vehicles at trailheads for the last few years. In Anchorage, vehicles are being broken into, even in the nicer parts of town, unless they have that little flashing alarm light to warn thieves off to easier pickings. I have been looking high and low for something that will work with my little 18ft Sunrader. My thoughts... A basic car alarm with voltage sensor and shock sensor might work, but they tend to go off at awkward times (earthquakes, high winds, eagle landing on the roof rack). I did find something simple and 12v that promises not to drain the battery. It is built for cabins and toy-haulers but looks like it can be adapted to work with motorhomes. The manufacturer (cabinalarm.com) promises an incredible zero draw on the system when it is idle. The only downside I can see is having to run a lot of wires, but I'm in the middle of a major remodel, so... Thoughts?
(I am also about to change all of the 757 bay locks. Thanks for the tip!)

I have an ADT home security system on mine. Mainly for my elderly, immunocompromised cat! The system monitors for break in, fire and temperature- can't have kitty freezing or heat stroking. It sends alerts to my cell phone. It's a nice system so I'll keep it when I move back into a house. I'm a single female traveling alone in a class A. I like that a loud siren will wake me if someone tries to come in while I'm sleeping. I got made lots of fun of for putting a home security system on the RV but I don't care. I've always had one at my houses. It's a tool.

Now if there were no sick kitty then I would definitely have another Doberman. I agree with the above comments about dogs and firearms. I always have one of my Glocks within reach. One has a special place in the bed. It's all about being smart and paying attention to your surroundings. Alarm systems, well trained dogs and firearms will do you no good without vigelence!

mphy98 said:
you do realize that most basement and oustide storage keys are all the same on all trailers,  I think it is a 757 key?

CH751 ;)

We found that out when our "friends" "broke into" our trailer one weekend as a prank. They removed every single label from every single tin can in our pantry. We weren't sure if we were opening Stag chilli or dog food for several weeks?!

I have NO 751s. Insisted the dealership change all the locks. Granted they are easy to pick or pop open. I don't keep much in my storage. I try to look as boring as possible!

Back
Top Bottom