RV Black & Grey Water Treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One more question...
So if I know the black tank is very low, on a multiple stop trip.....and I pull into a campground for 2 nights, is it ok to NOT even hook up the sewer hose to the site dump? I was just thinking you hook it up every time you stop.

MarshHawk said:
One more question...
So if I know the black tank is very low, on a multiple stop trip.....and I pull into a campground for 2 nights, is it ok to NOT even hook up the sewer hose to the site dump? I was just thinking you hook it up every time you stop.

No need to hook up the sewer hose if you know the tank will not overflow during that particular time frame. Move on to the next CG and maybe dump there. I wouldn't want to do that if I have more than 1/2 of a tank. I would fill it up to about 3/4 full then dump it. No need to carry around the extra weight.

You generally save money by getting a non-sewer site, so we don't go for full hookup sites unless we need to dump. Sometimes the no-sewer sites are too small and we get a full hookup site just for the view. If we aren't dumping (we only dump every 5-7 days), we don't connect hoses. I also prefer to run off the fresh water in my tanks rather than using the campground hose bib. That make sure sure I don't have a water pressure issue. If I like the taste of the campground water, we fill up. If it is not as good, we don't worry about it. Oh, and I use a water filter even with the good tasting water. There can be an awful lot of sediment in well water systems.

HappyWanderer said:
Hold the toilet valve open to add water to the black tank, until it's at least half full. Do the same at a sink to put water into the gray tank.
Dump the black tank, then close the valve. Next dump the gray tank, which will also flush out the sewer hose.

HappyWanderer
Be aware that in many RVs the bathroom sink drains into the black tank, (while the kitchen sink and the shower usually drain into the gray tank).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom