RV carports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We now have a 2010 Tiffin Phaeton on the concrete pad. We will be keeping it for the next 5 years. I have priced carports for it and they average 8k. In the grand scheme of things does it make that much diffrence when I go to sell motorhome? Don't think I would get my money back. I will keep it waxed and roof cleaned 2 times a year as I did my fifth wheel.

Don't think I would get my money back.
Probably you would not. Part of the value of a covered spot is the weather conditions that the RV will be subjected to and how much of the time. I have found that the hot TX sun is more damaging to the RV finish that was the high-altitude sun when we lived in WY. I suspect that the temperature plays a part. If you are sure that you will only keep your RV for 5 years, probably it won't be justified but if you will get another then you may what to get one but make sure that it is large enough for any future RV.

I'm totally missing something here. You have a pad at home you keep it "in season" and in the winter, you take it to, and pay, for storage under THEIR carport.

How about keep it at home ALL YEAR and put up the RV shelter and quit paying money to the storage facility for 4 or 5 months of the year?

Personally, If I pay big money for something like an RV and its nice, I want a roof over it when its not in use.

Charles

I think building a permanent cover would depend upon how much it would actually get used. If the camper is never there, then why go through the expense of adding one. However, if you are planning on it sitting there for 5 years, then yes. It would be beneficial for a cover.

A cover would never work for us. Actually, I quit using the cloth RV covers completely. WHY? Because the camper is in use too much. Those cloth ones were a real pain to put on and take off, then put on and take off again, then put on and take off again, and again, and again. Add snow, ice, rainy weather, blistering sun and it was just way too much work. Especially since the camper was being used pretty much near full time the way it was.

Only you can decide if covering is worth it to you! Question? Will the RVport benefit your property or the functionality of your property if you no longer have a camper parked there? In other words, are there other potential uses for the RVport besides parking a camper there. If so, it might be worth it. Also, how long do you plan to live in this house? Selling in the next 6 months.... it would not be worth it!

Don't think I would get my money back.
Never expect to get your money back on anything that is vehicle related. Only expect to get your money back on a few things, such as real estate, gold, silver, etc. and perhaps more than just "your money back". But money is worthless until it is spent. So be sure to use some of it to have fun with, and don't worry about the big expected loss!

-Don- Auburn, CA

We had a pole barn/carport constructed for ours. We're not keeping the RV in good shape for resale, we're keeping it (the roof, the paint, the tires) in shape for us.
It also stays cool inside during the summer when it's stored at home.

.... We're not keeping the RV in good shape for resale, we're keeping it ... in shape for us.
This is spot on, so true! Especially with an RV, one can never expect good "resale". If looking for good "resale", as other suggested in the above posts, invest in something else.

With an RV, it's kept in tip-top shape for the person using it. It's kept in tip-top shape so there are no unforseen breakdown while traveling 2000 miles from home, on a mountain road, in the middle of no where. It's kept in tip-top shape so your expenses are manageable. You control the maintenance on them, when, how, and how does the work, opposed to failures on the road and you have no other choice. The care you put into your RV is for your benefit, not the next person.

Use it, customize it for your purposes. Rebuild it! Do anything you want with it if it makes YOUR experience more enjoyable and more pleasurable FOR YOU. It's not about the "next owner." It's about your lifestyle.

Once your camper has served it's usefulness, fulfilled it's purpose for existence (for you), satisfied all your expectations (both good and bad), then it's time to move it on! Sell it for whatever you can get out of it. It's served it's purpose for you, and served you well. You got your money's worth out of it already!

So, the bottom line is, if you paid $60,000 for your camper new, you'll want to use it to make that entire $60,000 worth it.... if you never get another penny out of it.

The camper is for YOUR pleasure, not the next guy!

That will help some.
I don't think that it would return anything to store it in a paid facility whether it is covered or not if you have a place to store it at home. If it is on concrete, I would still keep something between the tires and the concrete like the cheap cutting boards from Amazon or Walmart. Wet concrete will leach chemicals that can penetrate the rubber of the tire and damage the steel belts if subjected long enough.

Never expect to get your money back on anything that is vehicle related.
Of course, there are exceptions to every rule: we bought a used 2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU in 2019 - paid about $24K for it. Then, at the end of 2021 we decided to sell it and got a quote from Vroom for $32K - a week later they picked it up and handed us a check! Allowed us to get a 2022 model to replace it!

How about keep it at home ALL YEAR and put up the RV shelter and quit paying money to the storage facility for 4 or 5 months of the year? Personally, If I pay big money for something like an RV and its nice, I want a roof over it when its not in use.
Well, all this stuff gets down to personal priorities, for sure. But, I'm in total agreement with you, I want to do everything I can to protect my things from the ravages of exposure to the elements.

People clearly have differing attitudes toward this, but it's trivially easy to see when things are being stored outdoors. They're faded and oxidized, and look really neglected, and this can't be completely mitigated by just washing it and waxing. Weather's going to take its toll anyway, especially with sealant on RV exteriors.

But, once again, you do you - personal priorities. The issue of "getting money back" on a shelter is irrelevant - RVs and costs associated with owning them aren't investments. You never "get your money back". We buy this stuff to enjoy them, end of story. Do what you can to protect them ... or not - your choice.

People clearly have differing attitudes toward this, but it's trivially easy to see when things are being stored outdoors. They're faded and oxidized, and look really neglected, and this can't be completely mitigated by just washing it and waxing. Weather's going to take its toll anyway, especially with sealant on RV exteriors.
I've always kept our Rvs outdoors and uncovered. All I can say is that my experience differs from yours.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom