RV COVERS / WHAT'S BEST?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jane Ann

I am shopping for a cover for my fifth wheel - there's lot's of different materials, and prices. I live in the midwest, and it's been 90 degrees most of the summer, and will get below zero at times this winter. The rig sits outside 24 / 7 - I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to spend more than I have to . . . any help would be appreciated.

IMHO the very best RV cover is a good coat of wax or similar protector since it won't chaff and damage the finish like the ones you mentioned do.  I have seen a few rigs that the paint or finish was chaffed by a cloth or similar cover.

Hi Jane,

I can't tell you what cover is better but, personally, I would not use one. Many will trap moisture and create problems with mold and rust. If the cover is loose it can chafe the finish which creates additional problems. Making sure the sealants are all in good shape will prevent leaks without the additional problems caused by covers. A porte over the RV would be the best way to protect the unit but many areas won't allow it. I'm sure others will give you additional info.

A porte would be lovely but out of the question in storage lot and my pocketbook . . . I wash the unit each time I use it ( 4 times a year ) and coat the roof twice a year, and it looks great for a '98. Thanks for your input!

Jane

Hi Jane,

Yes, portes are out of the question in many locations. Sounds like you're doing what's best for the coach right now!

I had a cover on my first trailer. I've not had one since. They are pretty difficult to put on as they are fairly heavy and bulky. You have to drag it over all the stuff on top, vents, AC etc. Then water and ice puddle around everything so it has to be blocked up so it'll drain. When they are wet they are really heavy also. In the wind they flop around and chafe the paint.
The one I had was Tyvek and it held up very well. Some areas on the roof would freeze down from moisture and I had to pour hot water on it to get it off in the winter.

How does one put a cover on an RV? Two people on ladders maybe?

Hmmmm . . . perhaps I will rethink the whole doggone thing! Thanks for the input.

Jane

It's a dangerous operation to be sure!  I haul the darn heavy thing up to the roof and walk around draping it and pulling it right.  This requires me to walk on it very carefully feeling where I have vents and whatever before breaking something.  The opportunity for falling off is there with even a little lack of focus.  Not fun, and equally a circus with removing it.

It was always the on & off thing that daunted me from trying a cover - it's not a chore I would want to do more than about once or twice a year. If that!

I'm surprised to hear the Tyvek cover described as heavy - Tyvek is pretty light stuff. But then, we are talking about a lot of material for a 35-40 RV. Something on the order of 1500-2000 sq ft!

Some other concerns about using a cover that I have heard: (1) you can't run the furnace or water heater to keep things from freezing (a problem in climates where it only freezes a couple times a winter), (2) you can't use the roof vents to reduce humidity (damp climates), (3) it's very dark inside!, (4) if you don't get a custom fit, the door opening in the cover probably won't line up with the entry door (5) small antennas (radio, cell phone, GPS, satellite radio, etc) can poke holes in it (6) you have to store it somewhere when not on the RV - it is big and bulky once out of the original shipping carton

Gary,

You listed some pretty good reasons for not buying a cover. I should get those added to a file I believe is in the library (if not, I'll create one).

Tom said:
You listed some pretty good reasons for not buying a cover. I should get those added to a file I believe is in the library

When I get back to Idaho in a couple of days I will post a photo of a fix my neighbor is using to protect his camper over the winter.  It is a free standing port but of fabric material.
Betty

I will anxiously await Betty Brewer's idea . . . other than that, I thinks it's a big "Never mind" like Rosanna Rosannadanna always said!

Jane

Gary
That cover can be carried by 1 person on the ground easily when folded up. BUT get up on a step ladder, get most of it on 1 end then work it forward and over all the stuff on top leaning over the top and using a broom stick etc. Once I took it off to go to Florida at the end of January. It was cover with snow & ice and froze down from moisture. It took several buckets of hot water to get it off and 2 people to carry it in the garage it was so heavy.
You'd never know I try to look at the good side of things would you?

I used Eternabond on the questionable seams, and feel confident about leaving it out in the eight month Michigan winter.

buckle823 said:
I used Eternabond on the questionable seams, and feel confident about leaving it out in the eight month Michigan winter.

Eternabond won't expose you to chaffing and all the other negatives RV covers do.

Betty Brewer said:
When I get back to Idaho in a couple of days I will post a photo of a fix my neighbor is using to protect his camper over the winter.  It is a free standing port but of fabric material.

So here is the fix for my neighbor here in Northern Idaho.  His mom lives here year round and will blow off the snow as it accumulates. This will be the first winter of this operation.  I don't know if it comes in a larger size but they purchased it at Home Depot  and it took 2 of them a full day with lots of "dialogue" between husband and wife."
Betty

Attachments

• DSC05681 (Small).JPG
    DSC05681 (Small).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC05682 (Small).JPG
    DSC05682 (Small).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC05684 (Small).JPG
    DSC05684 (Small).JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC05683 (Small).JPG
    DSC05683 (Small).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05680 (Small).JPG
    DSC05680 (Small).JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 35
Very nicely done! My fifth wheel is 30' so I would need a bit more coverage!

Thanks,

Jane

I know it's been said, but I'll reiterate what others have said. I had a Nice cover for my last two RVs (5th Whl and MH). I have come to the conclusion that I will not use one again, and choose to use a nice buffer and a can/bottle of wax.  I didn't have a problem getting the cover on and off, it would take about 30 minutes. However, it took an entire day to rub off all of the chaffing and dirt that had got rubbed into the molding.  Also as mentioned, after year 2 it had a number of holes from the wind blowing it around and rubbing on rough edges.

I used to think I was saving the exterior by covering it during the winter, but I honestly believe I was doing more damage than good.  The only cover I will use in the future is when I can afford to put the 30x40 garage in the back yard. So rather than waste the $300 for a cover and a day of cleaning in the spring, use that day for a good coat of wax and be done with it.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom