RV Forum Wildflower Scramble (April 2011) in Texas Hill Country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Well!!! After all the great reports and photos, I guess I have to put my 2 cents worth in at the close.

First off:  Thanks to all who attended and glad you enjoyed the rally.  We will try to do a better job next year and hope to get more of the Framily to attend.  I can tell you now, it will be early April next year with some added events and places to visit.  We truly enjoyed putting the rally on.

As Don said in his report, we visited Enchanted Rock yesterday morning and we enjoyed not only hiking to the top of the rock, but also all around the base.  I have attached some images taken along the way.  Shirley and I managed to keep up with most of the younger folk.  Too bad that Fred Thomas can't walk with us.  I plan to have a Birthday Celebration of Fred's and my 80th years next April, so don't miss it.  It will be complete with cake and ice cream.

On the way over to Enchanted Rock, we passed a really unique RV headed towards Kerrville.  I managed to see the rig on the way back and stopped for a brief conversation and couple of photos for you to enjoy.  This gentleman was going to stop and visit a friend in Kerrville and eventually end up in Lubbock, TX.  He expects to be traveling for a couple of months.  Anyway, enjoy the photos of the driver, rig and engine called "Baby".

We had the traditional Pot Luck last night and the food was outstanding as usual.  Tara White did a great job of serenading us all with several songs.  That was followed with yet another group photo.  So you can benefit from the photo, here is the names, starting left to right in the front row seated:  Daisy Thomas,  Linda Sharp, Mary Ann Nussbaumer, Betty Brewer, Mary Ann Nesbitt, Janette Borkowski, Tarry Johnson and Christi Bertram.  Standing from left to right is Fred Thomas, Tara White, Ernie White, Richard Sharp, Larry Nussbaumer, Lucy Akers, George Akers, Shirley Marabito, Chip Borkowski, Don Nesbitt, Terry Brewer, Jim Johnson, Ron Marabito and Kim Bertram.

We had 15 rigs at Sunset Point and 11 rigs at Buckhorn.  You'all  missed a good one.

Attachments

• Group Photo, Buckhorn Lake, April 2011 (Small).jpg
    Group Photo, Buckhorn Lake, April 2011 (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2643 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2643 (Small).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2648 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2648 (Small).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2655 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2655 (Small).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2674 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2674 (Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2718 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2718 (Small).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2743 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2743 (Small).jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2746 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2746 (Small).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2739 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2739 (Small).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 45
Looks like the Godwards will have to make a special effort to get there so there will be 3, 80 year olds, not me but I would never tell a ladies age!!  Us younguns will help them celibrate though.

Ron, a couple of your images look like the beginning of the trail going up to Delicate Arch in Arches N.P.  Also, LOVE that fancy RV.  His engine can eat its fuel anywhere along the way!  And I'll bet it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, either.  ::)

ArdraF

I look forward to 3 of us celebrating our 80th.  Come on down!!!!

Ardra:  He was telling me though that he needed new tires for the rig before it could make it to Lubbock.  I feel bad though, because I did not offer him some money toward his journey.

Ron --

Thanks again for all Shirley and you did to make this rally fun for us all.

To the group-

Ron's much too modest about "keeping up with the younger crowd" -- he led the way all the way and "the younger crowd" was puffing to keep up.

Mary Ann and I are safely in our site at the Carlsbad RV Park after playing leapfrog with the Brewers and the Bertrams all day.  We last saw the Brewers in a Shell station in Ft. Stockton and followed the Bertrams into Carlsbad where they turned north and we turned south.

Safe travels to all.

Don and Mary Ann

Thanks for the kind words Don.  I was tired last night though.

Russ, that is great.  Look forward to your participation.

Just for the fun of it, I've attached one of my last photo experiments titled "Martian Landscape".

Attachments

• Martian Landscape (Small).jpg
    Martian Landscape (Small).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 33
gmsboss1 said:
Mary Ann and I are safely in our site at the Carlsbad RV Park after playing leapfrog with the Brewers and the Bertrams all day.  We last saw the Brewers in a Shell station in Ft. Stockton and followed the Bertrams into Carlsbad where they turned north and we turned south.
Don and Mary Ann

Yep, we blew the airhorn to say hello each time we passed a FVForum member. Spent the night in Commanche Land RV Park in Fort Stockton.  $18 a night for good 50 amp power which we needed to run both AC as temps got up to 93. We are headed to Carlsbad this morning. Happy Easter.

Betty

Just wanted to say thanks again to all the fantastic people we met at the rally. We had a blast!!!!! We really feel like framly now. We look forward to seeing everyone again...
Here is a pic of camera master jedi Ron at E rock.

Attachments

• P4220110 (600x450).jpg
    P4220110 (600x450).jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 38
Along with all the other kudos, Fred and I want to also add our heartfelt thanks to Ron and Shirley for a job well done.  Even though we had to forgo a lot of the activities, we did enjoy the ones we could.  We were so happy to meet the new members and hope to see all of them at future rallies and/or gatherings. 

We made it to Balmorhea and there is still lots of smoke in the air from the fires around Ft. Davis.  We're told the fire is headed away from us, but I neglected to ask which direction.  We may yet run into it somewhere else along the way.  ;) We were here on our way to the rally just about the same time the fires started down there, so it's a big one, but not the first we've been subjected to, and probably not our last.

Betty, we didn't blow the horn, but tried to raise you on the CB as we went by, and then saw that Terry was probably on the opposite side hooking up. 

Lucy, tell George that if his need for harrassment dries up, to come on down for a refill.  You know where we live.  ;D ;D
I also want to thank you two for the rides, and the enjoyment of your company.

To everyone thanks for the great time, memories, and friendship.  See you somewhere???

Daisy and Fred

Just wanted to say I enjoyed seeing some of my fellow senior forum friends and meeting new ones. Didn't get to spend as much time with everyone as I would have liked, but its the quality of the time that's important. I'm going to try and spend more time on here going forward.

Attaching a couple of pics. Have to post Kim & Christi at the Alamo to prove Kim was there. I don't know how he thought he could become a semi-Texan without having been to the Alamo. He has a lot of Texas learning ahead of him.

Ken
http://1dustytrack.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• 2011-04-20_Bertram_Alamo.jpg
    2011-04-20_Bertram_Alamo.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2011-04-19_Wheelers-lunch.jpg
    2011-04-19_Wheelers-lunch.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
Ken:

Fred and I were both delighted to see you again after all these years.  We do hope you continue on the forum again and keep us up to date with your family as well. 

Daisy

Ron and Shirley

Thank you for all your efforts.  We had such a good time and Ernie are looking forward to the next one.  Going to the caverns was a great thrill as I had never been in one before.    Everyone made us feel so welcome

Thanks again
                                                                    Tara

Sounds like a great time was had by all!

Cheryl and I are hoping to attend next year, if you have one.  Our son lives in Austin -- so that's added incentive for us to get out that way...

Glad to hear we have some new faces planning to come to the rally next year.  I will post some dates soon, so you have some specifics to plan for. 

Shirley and I thank everyone for the kind remarks and we hope we can do better next year.

Travel safe and enjoy Moab.  Wish we could be there, but it's not in the cards this year.

AllegroRV [KodiakRV] said:
Cher  Our son lives in Austin -- so that's added incentive for us to get out that way...

Frank,

We spent 3 days touring Austin area before this rally and  I can  say I would easily return if  any rally events were scheduled around visiting the Capitol and the Bob Bullock Museum. We also enjoyed the Whole Foods Market, the LadyBird Johnson Wildflower Center.  OF course the Formula One Race Track is scheduled to be completed by  next April so we shall see.  Maybe there will be enough rain this year to actually see fields of wildflowers.  But Texas had enoughto interest us without the flowers.
Betty

In anticipation of the Formula 1 track being opened next year, we have already modified our 6 speed Honda with a new rear wing configuration.

Testing was performed today in the 30 mph winds between Artesia and SKP Ranch with considerable success. Braking during acceleration was much improved. The coefficient of drag in this configuration is quite negative.

No animals were harmed during this filming.

Attachments

• DSC_0003_formula 1_forum.jpg
    DSC_0003_formula 1_forum.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 42
Sky King,

Oh my gosh, Laughing out loud. What a photo. Forumula one rules will never ever be the same.  Thank for sharing! 
Betty

Back
Top Bottom